Repair a 9-yr-old Zoeller 105 drain pump, or replace?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virwill7

Reaction score
Hi folks. The pump noted above has begun intermittently failing to pump out water (mostly from the basement laundry), forcing water out from under the lid and making a real mess. A few forceful plunges from a toilet plunger usually gets it going, but I'm getting tired of babysitting it. I'm no plumber - just a homeowner with a try-to-fix-it mentality. I got it unhooked (it was installed by a plumber) and removed the top w/the pump attached on the inside. Cleaned it out and worked the float a bunch, thinking that maybe it was seizing. (The pump does its job when it works so other than turning on and off, it's gotta be the float, right?) Reassembled it. At first, not bad - it would fail only once every 10-15 loads. Today, I was having a real hard time getting it to work. It's 9 years old and I could drop $300 on a new pump, but I hate the idea of tossing a perfectly good machine away when there might be a simple fix by disassembling the pump itself. Of course, I have no idea what I'm doing, and the company isn't much help. All of this is a long way of asking: Is this a familiar problem a guy like me could get to - say, a dab of grease on the inside? Is this worth getting professionally repaired (if I could find someone to do so)? Or, if you were me, would you just drop the 300 bucks on new one? Many thanks.

I have an ejector pump that failed a while ago, it was 15 years old, is the float the type that plugs into a cord that plugs into an outlet???? I would price that compared to replacing the whole pump/float assembly
I changed mine out Im familiar with both zoeller and liberty I have installed lots of liberty and some zoeller , should inspect your check valve and install a ball valve and union for easier swap outs install should take a couple of hours, it will be a good time to flush/clean the tank
One other note , when you said the pump came on when you plugged the toilet, means the float was yriggered

I have an ejector pump that failed a while ago, it was 15 years old, is the float the type that plugs into a cord that plugs into an outlet???? I would price that compared to replacing the whole pump/float assembly
I changed mine out Im familiar with both zoeller and liberty I have installed lots of liberty and some zoeller , should inspect your check valve and install a ball valve and union for easier swap outs install should take a couple of hours, it will be a good time to flush/clean the tank
One other note , when you said the pump came on when you plugged the toilet, means the float was yriggered
Right. It's an intermittent failure. It can pump water. What should I look for on the check valve?

The pump does its job when it works so other than turning on and off, it's gotta be the float, right?
I believe that is likely, and as Geofd suggested, "when you plunged the toilet, means the float was triggered".

When you cleaned the pump tank, was there a lot of stringy debris, like hair, threads, paper pulp, etc.? If so, make sure the float connection to the pump is free and clear, and that the float moves freely. And make sure the rubber grommet around the switch arm is clear and that there are no cracks in it.

I would hate to replace a working pump when the issue is just the switch. I don't have any direct experience with Zoeller, but their company video talks about their company as a "family" with a "good personality". You said, "the company isn't much help", but I wasn't sure if you were talking directly to Zoeller or a supplier or the plumber/installer. I'd give them a/another call at 800-928-7867. They should provide you some detailed directions on how to trouble shoot the switch. I suppose the switch contacts could be dirty, but they may be potted and not accessible.

I believe that is likely, and as Geofd suggested, "when you plunged the toilet, means the float was triggered".

When you cleaned the pump tank, was there a lot of stringy debris, like hair, threads, paper pulp, etc.? If so, make sure the float connection to the pump is free and clear, and that the float moves freely. And make sure the rubber grommet around the switch arm is clear and that there are no cracks in it.

I would hate to replace a working pump when the issue is just the switch. I don't have any direct experience with Zoeller, but their company video talks about their company as a "family" with a "good personality". You said, "the company isn't much help", but I wasn't sure if you were talking directly to Zoeller or a supplier or the plumber/installer. I'd give them a/another call at 800-928-7867. They should provide you some detailed directions on how to trouble shoot the switch. I suppose the switch contacts could be dirty, but they may be potted and not accessible.
MicEd69: The tank was surprisingly clean of that sort of stuff - I mostly just wiped away old gunk (sediment, I reckon). Your suggestion is sound - when it clicks on, the pump is A-OK. Up to now I'd been exchanging emails with a product support guy whose first suggestion was that there was a clog in the line. That didn't make much sense to me since, until the past few days, it would work properly 10-20 times in a row. I really should give them another chance. I'll wait to open it back up until I reach someone else. (The plumber has retired and moved to FL.) Thanks.

Back