Problems with TOTO Drake Toilets

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowcat

Reaction score
I had 3 Toto toilets installed by a plumber 6 months ago.

3 X 1061364 Drake 1.28 GPF toilet Tank with washlet + auto flush compatibility – cotton white – ST776EA301

3 X 1061366 Drake Elongated Tornado Flush Toilet Bowl with Cefiontect – cotton white - C776CEG#01

1 x Toto Softclose non slamming, slow close elongated toilet seat and lid, cotton white - SS124#01

First problem: Toto toilet seat is making loud noises when lowering after two months.
The toilet was closed most of the time. It was seldom up. Please refer to the first video. It was replaced under warranty. I heard the same noise once last month.

Second problem: There was a small chip inside the bowl and it was replaced under warranty by the plumber assistant 3 days ago. My wife was talking to the assistant while he was working on the toilet. She noticed wax from the previous wax ring was still on the flange which was not removed completely and the new wax ring was installed over the old wax. I have attached a photo which shows the wax oozing out from the bolt cap.

My wife used the toilet the next day for the first time. She noticed it did not flush properly like the previous one with the short flush. The toilet paper would flush but then some toilet paper would flow back to the toilet bowl at the end of the flush.

I contacted the plumber and he indicated “the wax has been installed perfectly. There is no issue with the wax. For the mean time please hold the lever down for 1 second longer to allow enough water down through the flapper to complete the flush.” My family always used the short flush for all the Toto toilets and they would flush everything away.

Please refer to the videos. I have used one piece of toilet paper to illustrate the problem.

As you can see the first short flush has problem flushing away the toilet paper. After one minute later the short flush will flush away the toilet paper. It seems the second flush is stronger than the first flush. I am not sure what the problem is.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• toilet seat2 (2).mp4
    1.5 MB
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • flush1a.mp4
    7 MB
  • flush2a.mp4
    2.9 MB
Last edited:
Can't see the pics or videos. Is the refill tube spraying into the tank overflow to properly fill the bowl waterspot?

Can't see the pics or videos. Is the refill tube spraying into the tank overflow to properly fill the bowl waterspot?
I have uploaded the videos again. It is properly fill the bowl waterspot. I have shot another video short flushing with 2 pieces of toilet paper. Same problem. It will not flush. Second video is follow up flush 1 minute later.

Attachments

• flush3a.mp4
    3.3 MB
  • flush4a.mp4
    3 MB
Last edited:
Space is pretty tight to take the pictures. I check with other tank. Compare water level and flushing is the same. My wild guess is the plumber assistant while cleaning out the previous wax ring had dropped some wax into the drain pipe. After a flush the wax could take a bit of time to float back and blocking part of the pipe and blocking the flush. That is why the follow up second short flush seems stronger. If the toilet has not flush for another hour or two, the wax is float back to position and blocking the pipe and the flush again. It just keep repeating the cycle. It will not block a long flush but a short one.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Tank looks ok from what I see.

The ballcock may not be putting out the correct bowl refill.

Try this

Pour a quart of water very slowly into the bowl after every flush, then flush again and see if the problem goes away. This would manually fill the bowl and verify if the ballcock was putting out the correct refill or not.

If the bowl flushes good every time after pouring the quart, then replace the ballcock.

I manually fill the bowl and the flushes are the same. I took videos for the short flush/refill and long flush/refill (video M flush1b and 2b) and also I took video (third video D flush1a) from another tank. When comparing both, the short flushes/refills are the same with correct refill up to the mark. They only replaced the toilet bowl and the tank was from the previous one. The toilet bowl refill on both after the flush has the same amount.

Attachments

• M flush1b.mp4
    6.3 MB
  • M flush2b.mp4
    12.4 MB
  • D flush1a.mp4
    6.1 MB
Last edited:
You could run a closet auger through toilet to verify nothing is obstructing. And see how it flushes after.

This is a brand new toilet bowl.
So, new toilets don't get clogged?

You were worried about wax, I've seen where if too much wax is used it can partially cover the outlet of the toilet. A closet auger will fix that if it's a problem.

So, new toilets don't get clogged?

You were worried about wax, I've seen where if too much wax is used it can partially cover the outlet of the toilet. A closet auger will fix that if it's a problem.
I thought about that and also a horned wax that slipped and has partially obstructed the outlet. But it flushes good and then doesn’t…….that sounds like a bowl refilling problem or a tank refill problem.

If you put the wrong ballcock in some Toto’s it will act EXACTLY like that.

But my guy says he’s checked all that by manually priming.

Based off what I’ve heard, and if it’s true, I think I’d replace it or take it up and be prepared to replace it if I don’t find anything.

But sure, I think I’d run an auger through it for good measure first. It takes less than 20 seconds to do.

The Toto Drake has an elongated pipe area. It is difficult to snake through all the way and might get caught and crack the pipe. The plumber is dropping by next week to check out the problem. Thank you for all your help!

Attachments

• Toto Drake.jpg
    Toto Drake.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0
The Toto Drake has an elongated pipe area. It is difficult to snake through all the way and might get caught and crack the pipe. The plumber is dropping by next week to check out the problem. Thank you for all your help!
Who told you that nonsense about the Drake being difficult to snake through ? 🤣

Good luck my guy 😉

You don’t use a normal snake, that will scratch the crap out of the toilet. You use a closet auger designed for toilets.
Link

Latest posts

Back