Outdoor Submerged Pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deep 6

Reaction score
I had a 200’ deep well pump drilled and installed this summer (2003). It is used for irrigation and if needed - emergencies. I use county water for the home. My location is a town called Mentone on Lookout Mountain in NE Alabama. Altitude is 2000 ft so we do experience freezing temps. I will not need the well water for irrigation or any other reason in the winter. I assume from other research that to avoid expansion from freezing, I should drain thoroughly and turn off the power to the pump. Would that be correct?
If so, the only area of concern I have is the galvanized pipe coming out of the out of the well to the brass bib just before the pressure gauge with the black hose.When I turn off the power and open that hose bib, should all of the water drain out of that galvanized section back into the well?
Thank you for your input.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t here when he dug the well and he did not pour a pad. That’s the next project.
IMG_3367.jpeg

Most submersible pumps I have seen have a check valve built in, so the water won't drain down. I don't know how cold you expect it to get, but here is how you could get the water out of the top 6-8 feet of the pipe. Take the union apart and shove a small air hose down the pipe. If you can't get around the elbow you may need to remove it. then, using an air compressor you can blow the water out down to how far the air hose reaches. You could also use a small suction pump, but most everyone has an air compressor. How far is it down to the water table? If the water comes up close to the surface, you may need to insulate around the casing.

Thanks for the reply. I do not know how high the water table is, But he did drill 200 feet, so I would assume it’s quite a bit below ground level. When you state-take the union apart- exactly - which point are you referring?
Most submersible pumps I have seen have a check valve built in, so the water won't drain down. I don't know how cold you expect it to get, but here is how you could get the water out of the top 6-8 feet of the pipe. Take the union apart and shove a small air hose down the pipe. If you can't get around the elbow you may need to remove it. then, using an air compressor you can blow the water out down to how far the air hose reaches. You could also use a small suction pump, but most everyone has an air compressor. How far is it down to the water table? If the water comes up close to the surface, you may need to insulate around the casing.

It's the coupling with the largest diameter hex. Google pipe union so you can see a picture of one, they are installed so you can open up a piping system in the middle, without disconnecting everything. But, if you are unsure what a union is you may need some experienced help, they have to be turned in the correct direction. You should maybe have a plumber or pipefitter replace the elbow with a T, then you could take a plug out of the top and blow it out every fall. Maybe someone else will have a better idea!

It's the coupling with the largest diameter hex. Google pipe union so you can see a picture of one, they are installed so you can open up a piping system in the middle, without disconnecting everything. But, if you are unsure what a union is you may need some experienced help, they have to be turned in the correct direction. You should maybe have a plumber or pipefitter replace the elbow with a T, then you could take a plug out of the top and blow it out every fall. Maybe someone else will have a better idea!
installing a T is brilliant! just YouTubed a pipe union disconnect - I get it. Thank you!

Before the elbow is unscrewed the drop pipe to the pump should be supported somehow, the elbow might be what is supporting the pump now, and you wouldn't want the pump to drop. It should have a safety rope on it, but you never know.

The elbow is holding the pump up. There is no safety rope. Do not remove that elbow. It looks like steel pipe as well and will be heavy to try and remove that elbow anyway. Just take it loose at the union. Stick an air hose past the elbow a foot or two, and blow the water out.

With such a small tank, pump is cycling on and off a lot. You could add a Cycle Stop Valve at the union and solve that and many other problems.

The elbow is holding the pump up. There is no safety rope. Do not remove that elbow. It looks like steel pipe as well and will be heavy to try and remove that elbow anyway. Just take it loose at the union. Stick an air hose past the elbow a foot or two, and blow the water out.

With such a small tank, pump is cycling on and off a lot. You could add a Cycle Stop Valve at the union and solve that and many other problems.

Thank you all, I will not disconnect the elbow. Going to winterize today and I will let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back