Ok to use copper pipe type M

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanSD

Reaction score
I am replacing (and moving a bit) the valve for the outdoor shower at my house. The shower is against the brick chimney on the outside of the house. This is in San Diego, CA.

There is 1/2” copper pipe. For the new piping that I’m installing, I naively bought Type M rather than Type L. This includes pipe that contains water under pressure that supplies the shower valve. None of this pipe is exposed to the elements and sunshine.
I’ve just finished soldering all the connections.

My question is whether I should buy Type L copper pipe and start over. This would cost me about $90 (for the valve, pipe, and fittings) plus some hours of my time. I don’t mind this if it’s the right thing to do.

Does anyone know:
- Is it to code in Southern California to use Type M copper pipe in this situation?
- Would it be common for a professional plumber to use Type M copper pipe in this situation?

Thanks!

Being in Southern California, many home builders use type M throughout the house, and have no issues.

We are not allowed to use "m" in mass for potable water we can only use it on drains/vents and heating systems type L lasts longer
We also only use type L for new construction and remodels. I’ll use type M for relief lines and water heater hook ups outside the wall.

In the original posters situation there’s no way I’d redo it.

My state allows M for residential water distribution.

Latest posts

Back