Need help with basement tub drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

524frz2e

Reaction score
I'm finishing my basement and was putting in the drain for the tub and my family member who does plumbing on the side, said this configuration was good but the inspector said it wasn't. The inspector said I need to jack hammer more out to the right of the tub down drain and connect the down line to the p-trap directly then into the existing drain line. Any other configurations I can do without having to jackhammer out?

Thanks, tub drain.jpg

The threaded nut on the trap is not code in my area if it is not accessible. We also have to have the trap as close to fixture as possible. You basically have a running trap there. I am not sure what that fitting is that the tub waste is connected to when it turns to go horizontal.

The threaded nut on the trap is not code in my area if it is not accessible. We also have to have the trap as close to fixture as possible. You basically have a running trap there. I am not sure what that fitting is that the tub waste is connected to when it turns to go horizontal.
Thanks for the feedback! The elbow fitting your are asking about was just one that the down pipe fit into snugly and also connected to a 1 1/2 pipe.

That appears to be a planned boxout in the floor. If it is, and if it was for a tub, did you change the direction of the tub? It seems the only way a P-trap would fit given the relative locations of the drainpipe and the boxout would be if the tub was rotated 90 degrees clockwise. And as the inspector only commented on the running trap issue and perhaps the use of a screwed P-trap, I assume there is an existing vent downstream in the drain line to which you are connecting that meets the vent distance requirements of the code you are under.

Or the original plumber and/or the concrete guy messed up. In any case, with your existing layout, it looks as though you will need to remove the stud wall and start removing some concrete.

Last edited:
hope the tub drain never blockes because there is no way you could pass a fish through there . Why not just drop the overflow
directly into the ptrap .?

Break out the concrete over here in red.

Measure over from the center on the drain about 6”-12” and break all that out.

This will allow room for the inlet of your ptrap to be center of the waste and over flow outlet.

After you complete the job do a little dance then go outside and yell my name out 3 times across your neighborhood

6E08DF71-A973-4644-A8AA-B45D8460D193.jpeg

Last edited:
You also need to use an all glue up ptrap. Not a union trap or a trap you can unscrew a nut at the trap outlet.

This needs to be solvent weld and permanent.

Typically no slip joints allow if there’s no access

That appears to be a planned boxout in the floor. If it is, and if it was for a tub, did you change the direction of the tub? It seems the only way a P-trap would fit given the relative locations of the drainpipe and the boxout would be if the tub was rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. And as the inspector only commented on the running trap issue and perhaps the use of a screwed P-trap, I assume there is an existing vent downstream in the drain line to which you are connecting that meets the vent distance requirements of the code you are under.

Or the original plumber and/or the concrete guy messed up. In any case, with your existing layout, it looks as though you will need to remove the stud wall and start removing some concrete.
Yes, there is a vent just down the drain about 15 inches and the direction the tub would be up and down in the picture. From what I've read more about this, I'm going to go with a ptrap connected directly into the drain line and the tub drain directly into it. Thanks for your help and feedback!

You also need to use an all glue up ptrap. Not a union trap or a trap you can unscrew a nut at the trap outlet.

This needs to be solvent weld and permanent.

Typically no slip joints allow if there’s no access
thanks for the suggestion, I will get the correct ptrap when I redo this.

hope the tub drain never blockes because there is no way you could pass a fish through there . Why not just drop the overflow
directly into the ptrap .?
I'm going to go that route. I asked the inspector and he said that was acceptable. Thanks for your help and suggestion!

Back