Need a new pump??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosenbarn

Reaction score
Having an odd problem with our plumbing/well. The pump is cutting out after 5-10 minutes and stays off for exactly 3 minutes then come back on for another 5-10 minutes. Pressure switch contacts are staying pulled in and there is correct voltage (220) going to the pump. Current draw is about 10 amps and never spikes but drops to 1.5 amps when the pump stops pumping. The pressure switch seems to work normally coming on at 35 psi and shutting off at 50 psi (if it ever reaches that due to the pump quitting). Have a 25 gallon pressure tank with 35 psi in the bladder (when water pressure is 0. When the pump stops pumping the pressure drops to 0 if you have all the faucets on. We just shocked the well due to coliform and not sure if this would have anything to do with the problem or we are just noticing it because we are running all the faucets at once. I don't know what hp pump I have but well is 90 feet deep and about 300 feet away from house. Also, I'm not sure if the current draw is too much and whether that could be causing motor overload to cut out for 3 minutes? replace pump? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

It sounds like your well may be running out of water.
Is the pump pumping water when its running? If it is, the heater in the pump is shutting it self off from over heating.
When it comes back on does it pump water?

Checked the well, water went 30' over the pump. The pump does pump water back up when it kicks back on. Biting the bullet and replacing the pump anyways.

Latest posts

Back