Mansfield Alto 137/173 Toilet Trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbob

Reaction score
In our new house, the builder installed Mansfield Alto 137/173 toilets over cheap offset flanges (see photo). The flush valve is FLUIDMASTER 400 Model Anti-Syphon. The house is built on a slab, and the drain pipes are cast into place. They couldn't get the drain in the perfect location during concrete pour. That's why they used offset flanges.

Since new, they have all had the same issue. On random occasions, they don't flush well. Bowl water level will back up, then slowly percolate out, while solids remain in the bowl.

It isn't a function of the amount of solid waste or waste fluid in the bowl. I've tried plunging the bowl and cleaning the mouth of the trap with a brush. That doesn't help.

I believe that this happens if someone doesn't hold down the flush lever long enough or holds it down for too long, but I can't confirm that. Out of caution, we've stopped flushing any toilet paper, but we still have the issue.

What sometimes fixes it is quickly pouring a bucket of water into the bowl, forcing a quick purging of the trap.

Is it possible that air is getting into the trap and preventing a correct flush? What else could be wrong?

In the tank, I see a line on the center tube market "Fill Line" and water is right up to that line. Do these toilets have another adjustment that might help?

I know that Mansfield toilets don't have the greatest reputation. I know that offset flanges can be troublesome and that some are better than others. Is this simply the result of multiple bad practices?

Is there anything I can do to help, other than replacing the toilets?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Construction Photo.jpg
    Construction Photo.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 0
  • Mansfield Alto.jpg
    Mansfield Alto.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 0
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts