Leaking Compression Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M111

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm experiencing a leak in a water compression valve that runs to our backyard. I've been using it recently to hose our garden, and just today it starting a slight leak when the valve is shut and a bigger leak when it's open.

I read that the packing nut could need tightening, but it wouldn't budge for me with a lot of WD40 and an adjustable wrench. The leak is coming from just below the knob (attached 2 pic). Any ideas of what I could use to loosen the nut or if the issue might be something else altogether?

Cheers,

Matt

Attachments

• 20240421_205156.jpg
    20240421_205156.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240421_205151.jpg
    20240421_205151.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
WD40 is worthless as are "penetrating" oils.
Obviously it was built using that nut, so getting better leverage is normal suggestion or, turn water off, drain the pipe at the bleeder and heat the valve a bit.
If you do get it apart, rebuild and lubricate with silicone valve grease.
Better yet, replace

WD40 is worthless as are "penetrating" oils.
Obviously it was built using that nut, so getting better leverage is normal suggestion or, turn water off, drain the pipe at the bleeder and heat the valve a bit.
If you do get it apart, rebuild and lubricate with silicone valve grease.
Better yet, replace
Thanks for your advice! Is there anything other than an adjustable wrench I should try using?

Back