lead free backflow preventer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyman55

Reaction score
I used a watts 009M3-QT back flow preventer on my water powered sump pump in PA. Was I actually required to install a lead free device, as in LF009? I thought since water was flowing to the sump pump lead free wouldn't be required.

thanks.

Since I'll probably change this out can I use a pressure vacuum breaker in stead of a back flow preventer. I have seen check valves used but didn't think that was the way to go

Last edited:
As you have installed the back flow preventer, I'm assuming that this installation was not inspected as a lead-free device is required for potable water service. But here are a couple of questions for you to think about.

Is the valve to control the water powered sump pump before or after the back flow preventer? If it is before the back flow preventer, then the only time the back flow preventer is "seeing" your water supply is when that valve is open, and the sump pump is operating. It's pretty hard for any lead ions to migrate upstream in a flowing water line. If it is after the back flow preventer, you could theoretically install a second identical valve before the back flow preventer.

Do you have copper pipe with soldered joints? How old is the piping? Do you know if the joints were made with lead-free solder?

I'm all for reducing health hazards, but in some cases, like this one for example, using lead-free devices seem to be a bit of overkill.

If you decide to leave the back flow preventer you have in service, you now know that is should have been a lead-free device, so if you sell your house, you will need to indicate that in your disclosure statement or remove/replace it at that time.

The above are not any specific suggestions from me, just something to think about. The original focus on reducing lead in drinking water was to eliminate lead supply piping. My brother-in-law in south St. Louis still had lead water supply lines throughout his house, as do thousands of houses in St. Louis and other older cities. Those houses are ones that DO need remediation IMHO. But worrying about lead-free brass in a back flow preventer at a dead-end water line does seem to be a bit much, again IMHO.

All fittings in mass must be lead free to be installed on mater main used for human consumption. on the back flow preventor stamp with the serial# and valve type LFis also on stamp/tag

According to Watts:

1711662898413.png

It is illegal to install a Watts 009 in any plumbing system providing water for human consumption. As such, it seems unlikely that using a check valve before the Watts 009 would be acceptable as the line after the check valve is still in the same "system".

But look at the description immediately following the warning block! LMAO! 🤣

The reason you DO install a single check in front of RPZ of stop the checks from chattering,caused by flushometers,ice maker,dishwasher solenoid valves (quick opening valves it should be install within a foot of the back flow on the potable water side

The reason you DO install a single check in front of RPZ of stop the checks from chattering,caused by flushometers,ice maker,dishwasher solenoid valves (quick opening valves it should be install within a foot of the back flow on the potable water side
Good to know.

But I don't think using a check valve will make installing an illegal item in a plumbing system legal, which was my point.

My old standby Trader Joe's three pack of dark chocolate is one of the high lead chocolates as tested. So I only eat it every other day.
And, in adults, lead is not that serious...so, we eat unleaded chocolate every on the in-between days.

Latest posts

Back