Inside diameter of PEX vs. CPVC

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimB12345

Reaction score
Hi all; I had a recent project (sillcock) where I installed some small amounts of 1/2" PEX-A, replacing a short run of CPVC. As part of this project I of course bought an expensive expander tool (M12 Fuel) and a spool of PEX-A for future projects.

The next thing I'm working on is another sillcock, but this one is tied into the 3/4" main supply (teed down to 1/2") which is also CPVC. There are some other issues in this line (I could explain but probably not relevant) to the point where I was going to also replace about 10-15' of it with 3/4" PEX-A; and just like with the 1/2", probably would do more 3/4" in the future as other things come up. I figure, I already have the expander head and the piping and fittings are cheap enough, it would have made the whole project easier and allowed me to fix a bunch of issues in one fell swoop.

However I then noticed (measured with micrometer) the inside diameter of the CPVC is about 0.69", while the PEX-A is about 0.65".

Is this smaller i.d. enough of a concern that I should reconsider? Or, upsize to 1" even if the rest of the supply line (including the supply from the city) is 3/4"? I would really like to keep things moving towards PEX but not sure how much flow I'd be losing over whatever distances end up with a slight downsizing.

So much hoopla is made over the flow restriction of PEX-B fittings compared to PEX-A, and that's only over a distance of a few inches per fitting; here I'm talking dozens of feet. Not sure if this is something that should be keeping me up at night, or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Back