Ideas for Draining Well Supply Line for Winter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Georgia

Reaction score
I am planning to move my well pressure tank out of the crawlspace and in to the water heater closet for easier access. This move will leave 30ft of 3/4in copper well supply line running across the ground in the crawlspace full of water and exposed to freezing. What would you install to be able to drain/blowout this pipe without having to crawl in the crawlspace ? PS I prefer to drain water and not insulate or use pipe heaters. Thanks

A couple of boiler drains with hose thread caps. Slope the line toward the end you want the water to drain. No dips.

Or bury the pipe below the frost line.

Thanks for the response. The old pressure tank location would be a good low spot to install the boiler drains. It sounds like I’ll still have to access the crawlspace to drain. The partial slab would make burying the line difficult.

You could install a solenoid valve with a drain to the outside. Flip a switch or have it connected to a smart switch and use your phone.

Yep that's it. Never seen one get clogged. Just remember they can't have more than about 20' of water standing in the pipe above the bleeder or it will not open.

Well water is high in iron and manganese and is cloudy before the sediment filter so might need keep an eye out for clogging. Any concerns on teeing off the low spot in crawl space main line up to some sort of outside spigot to connect air compressor and blow out towards the pressure tank?

We have a similar situation t a seasonal cabin, here's what I did. I drilled a small hole in the check valve in the top of the pump and installed a check valve under the cabin. That check valve has a bypass line around it with a manual valve in it. when I blow out the water lines, I can open the bypass valve and blow all the water back to the well. Even though we buried the line 7 feet deep I feel better with it empty!

We have a similar situation t a seasonal cabin, here's what I did. I drilled a small hole in the check valve in the top of the pump and installed a check valve under the cabin. That check valve has a bypass line around it with a manual valve in it. when I blow out the water lines, I can open the bypass valve and blow all the water back to the well. Even though we buried the line 7 feet deep I feel better with it empty!
Appreciate the response, and great idea - very similar to what I’m looking to do. I have a submersible pump and not sure how I could get the same drain effect on the well end as you did by drilling the hole at the pump…

Back