How to leave well for long term unuse?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwoodco1

Reaction score
I purchased a home on a well that tested high for fecal matter as it is a very shallow well directly underneath my septic drain field. I moved the home over to city sewer and water. Eventually I am hoping to use the well for irrigation and I am wondering the best way to leave the well. I capped off the water line leaving the pump as you can see in the small circle.
The jet pump that is there is bad and i will be replacing it when i start to use the well again. Can i remove the pump and plug the lines? Or do need to install a new pump and then leave it running to keep the lines pressurized?
20230929_090307.jpg

You can just disconnect and cap the lines to the well to keep bugs out. The longer it sits unused the more problems it may give you when trying to start it up again. But I have connected a new pump to wells that had been sitting for 30 years and they went right back to working.

Rather than irrigating with what you know to be shitty water (if you see what I did there), if shallow wells work, why not just dig a new shallow well far from the septic leach field, when the time comes to start irrigating?

Back