How do I fix hot water contention?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspahn

Reaction score
I have a large family in a house with three bathrooms and two kitchens… and one oil boiler with a tankless coil. The problem I am trying to fix is exactly what is expected- person A is in the shower and person B gets into the other shower. Person A all of a sudden has a cold shower, so they turn off the cold and turn up the hot, which ruins the shower for person B so they adjust and the cycle goes on. We have a central mixing valve. How do I solve this? Should I put a mixing valve in each bathroom? Add a tankless as a secondary Hw supply…?

Best way would be a regular hot water heater
1. You won't be have to fire you boiler to make hot water
2. You will have storage for your hot water
Yes you will be using electricty, but you need it either way, you could also use a hybrid hot
Water heater , I'm not as familiar with those

Best way would be a regular hot water heater
1. You won't be have to fire you boiler to make hot water
2. You will have storage for your hot water
Yes you will be using electricty, but you need it either way, you could also use a hybrid hot
Water heater , I'm not as familiar with those
You should have an anti scalding shower valve in each bathroom just for the safety factor if you can

Old house? One or two handle shower faucets? Best option is to have pressure balancing, or thermostatic shower faucets. That would require opening walls and replacing the existing valves if not currently. You could also have a supply issue.

Old house? One or two handle shower faucets? Best option is to have pressure balancing, or thermostatic shower faucets. That would require opening walls and replacing the existing valves if not currently. You could also have a supply issue.
House is ca. 1840 with 2-handle faucets. I have access to the plumbing behind, with access panels so I don’t need to fix drywall after! Sounds like I have the right idea- my boiler has a 4-5 GPM coil, and I happen to have a tankless WH sitting in my basement ready to install when I get the controller as a secondary supply. Combining this with thermostatic valves at the shower sound like it should solve the problem. Thanks!

4-5 gpm should supply 2 standard 2 gpm showers simultaneously as long as there are no other restrictions as far as old galvanized pipe, clogged mixing valve, etc.

Latest posts

Back