Help replacing flange and toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sis_odda

Reaction score
Hi,:confused: I was planning on replacing my wax ring because the toilet is rocking and I am concerned that it may be a little water under there.(or as my husband says I am just paranoid, that is why I waited to do this when he left town) It seems like everything in this house is just rigged up for quick fixes and nothing is done right. Any who the flange is not flushed with the concrete floor it is on top of the titles, however it is NOT moving. I was told that it needs to be flushed with the concrete. So my concern is do I leave the elevated flange there and just put down the wax ring on or should I definitely, pull out the old one, knock out some titles, and replace? My other concern is that if I do have to take the hard route, this old flange is Not using screws to hold it in place. And here in lies the entire confusion… what should I do? Suggestions please help…(oh and by the way my husband was wrong this is a little water under there:p)

Most flanges are elevated from the floor a bit. I'd recommend purchasing a new wax ring (some recommend putting two of them together, but I don't) and make sure it is seated properly. once the toilet is in place, sit down gently and then put the bolts on it, being careful to not overtighten because you will crack the porcelain.

That is all you should have to do for a watertight connection. If after tightening the bolts, you find that the toilet rocks at all, there are little wedges (shims) available to stop it from rocking.

Thanks, i posted this same message to another forum site and all together i got 5 replies.. and all the same replies…lol the people at home depot got me all in a tiss about nothing.. Thanks for your help I can get it done tonight yahh…..

By the way, you remind me of my neighbor's wife. When the husband goes out of town on business for a few days, he always comes home to busted out walls, ripped up flooring, and replaced carpeting. I love hearing the yelling when he returns!

funny.........but there is no yelling at my house ... he is happy to come home and find it fixed... because now he does not have to listen to me gripe that it is broken anymore.. but if i try to fix it while he is here, then there is a fight about how its fixed. we dont work well in that department because i have bad attention to detail and he has a total lack of(as do most men). and i have all of my grandmother in me,, the women do Everything around the house from the pluming to the decorating because the man would never be able to meet our standards in that department.. Oh well we all learn to cope and deal.. its fixed thanks so much for the help... everyone in my house will now be happy and at piece (well about this thing anyways) lol haha have a good night

Thanks for the reply. Next time you have a project, feel free to chime in for help!

Back