Gas line question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bent240lv

Reaction score
Hello

Today I had my gas for my pool heater hooked up. Prior to this I had a gas line Tee'd off of the heater and run underground about 15ft for a firepit next to spa.

When the plumber came today, he said that the line for the firepit is not up to code and that I should have it inspected. He said his main reason is that the line is not sleeved. The pipe the plumber who did the work used was of the green coated variety but apparently it still needs to be sleeved.

He said that If it fails inspection then the original plumber would be responsible for all repair work needed. This would involve having to have the pavers redone.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or have any suggestions as to how I should procede?

Currently the pipe in question is being pressure tested. It was at 60psi, over 4 hours and it has already dropped to 50psi

If it is not to code I would like to get it redone.

Thanks

Many cities prohibit burying steel gas pipe, no matter whether it is galvanized, black or green. Some cities require a wrap, some require a full protective sleeve. With the leak test failing already, I believe it is time to make some calls.

Pressure has dropped to 30psi after 20 hours of testing. I will make calls, I probably have to go through the state contractors board and file a workmanship complaint. I talked to the inspectors office and they said if I pull a paermit to get it inspected then I will be heldliable

Pressure has dropped to 30psi after 20 hours of testing. I will make calls, I probably have to go through the state contractors board and file a workmanship complaint. I talked to the inspectors office and they said if I pull a paermit to get it inspected then I will be heldliable

How was the gas line plugged to be tested? If one of the plugs is a gas valve other then a ball valve they are not designed to hold that kind of pressure.
In our area we must test gas lines with no more then 25 lbs. and hold for 24 hrs. It will also fail if the pressure exceeds 25 lbs. The reason being is the pressure could have been higher to allow for some leakage before the inspection was made.

John

The problems, that I have now learned are these....

1. The original plumber did not pull a permit.

2. He did not pressure test the line.

3. He did not sleeve it.

I called him one already and has not returned my call, I will try again and then call the contractors board.

There are many different codes for different areas. This is the standard for my area. Underground service piping from the curb to the meter should be yellow plastic HDPE designed for gas. Only an approved manufacturer connection for that pipe can be used under ground. No threaded connections. Above ground, a riser and transition to steel is the typical installation. Plastic service line pipes are to be tested @ 90 psi for 30 minutes or until visual inspection of the gauge is done by the gas company. As johnjh2o said, no testing against closed valves. Piping after the meter for the house line or outdoor appliances is the same with the exception of the pressure test. 3 or 5 psi is required (depending on the gas company) for 15 minutes.
No sleeving is required on underground plastic HDPE, but is needed for foundation penetrations and if a corrugated coated stainless steel pipe is used on above ground exteriors and penetrations. CSS can be installed under ground, after the meter, as per manufacturer recommendations (usually sleeved), but can have no mechanical connections or couplings inside the sleeve.
No permits need to be pulled for any of this work, but any service line work must be performed by an OQ DOT certified plumber/mechanic that is on file with the gas co.
There are a lot of other little details that are also very important, but I've droned on long enough.
It already sounds like you are headed in the right direction by asking questions to the local inspectors. Hope the original installer will help you out. Keep us updated.

Back