Finished flooring covering traps??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blockisle9

Reaction score
Hi all new here!
We have window wells around an older building with drains. The drains go into the basement slab with a trap. During a resent remolding job, all of the traps were covered over with carpet or tiles.
Just wondering if this is a code violation?
Thank You

It is in NC! I can't speak for the codes where you are, but it doesn't sound like a good idea. As the water in the traps evaporates, sewer gas will be released and probably make it's way up through the carpet or tiles.

Hi all new here!
We have window wells around an older building with drains. The drains go into the basement slab with a trap. During a resent remolding job, all of the traps were covered over with carpet or tiles.
Just wondering if this is a code violation?
Thank You
Do you mean traps or clean outs? Either one should have access, they were put there for a reason.

John

They are traps. I agree, the problem is convincing the builder and or architect.
I was hoping to be able to site the aplicable code. My location is Connecticut. I know codes very from state to state but isnt there a national code?
Thanks again.

Last edited:
I don't understand what the reason would be for having traps on drains for window wells. Unless they are connected to the sewer system. Which in most areas is not allowed. I would check with your building department.

John

I don't believe combination systems are allowed. I realize Waterbury is a very old town and at one time these systems were used. But as others have stated if the water evaporates in these traps sewer gas can enter the home. At the least there should be trap primers connected to these traps.

John
P.S. I at one time owner property in Waterbury.

Back