Drain tank yearly to remove sediment or not bother? Worth the effort?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLForester

Reaction score
It seems there are polar opposite opinions on this. Does it extend an electric hot water tank's life by draining it yearly to get sediment out? Some say it is just wasting water and has no effect. Others claim it will surely add years before failure. I am seeking learned opinions on this. Thanks.

To each his own ...... but I do maintenance on my electric every six months because of crappy water. I learned that trying to remove accumulated sediment through a ( half inch ? ) factory compression drain valve is futile. No large sediment will pass through and in our situation the sediment has been up to the lower element level.
I've replaced the factory drain valve with a 3/4 ball valve .... but in our case it's only to get faster drainage. I replace both elements and use a wet vac to remove the tank sediment through the lower element hole and also monitor the anode condition through the same port. I just replaced the anode after three years.
To your question .... trying to remove the sediment through the small drain valves is a waste of time. And also be aware it is the anode condition that will extend tank longevity.
My goal is to prevent issues in February.
I would suggest you need to drain your tank and remove ( replace ) the lower element so you can see what accumulation of "crap" you really have.

DRAIN.jpg

Last edited:
To each his own ...... but I do maintenance on my electric every six months because of crappy water. I learned that trying to remove accumulated sediment through a ( half inch ? ) factory compression drain valve is futile. No large sediment will pass through and in our situation the sediment has been up to the lower element level.
I've replaced the factory drain valve with a 3/4 ball valve .... but in our case it's only to get faster drainage. I replace both elements and use a wet vac to remove the tank sediment through the lower element hole and also monitor the anode condition through the same port. I just replaced the anode after three years.
To your question .... trying to remove the sediment through the small drain valves is a waste of time. And also be aware it is the anode condition that will extend tank longevity.
My goal is to prevent issues in February.
I would suggest you need to drain your tank and remove ( replace ) the lower element so you can see what accumulation of "crap" you really have.

View attachment 44736
I've always wondered where the sediment comes from. I've read, it's from the anode wearing away.

It seems there are polar opposite opinions on this. Does it extend an electric hot water tank's life by draining it yearly to get sediment out? Some say it is just wasting water and has no effect. Others claim it will surely add years before failure. I am seeking learned opinions on this. Thanks.
Yes it is worth the effort.,
Even better to add a wye strainer on the cold water inlet.
How would you know how much sediments entered the tank?
2nd, After sediment buildup, you hot water efficiency drops.
Also would be a good time to inspect the anode rod and maybe replace it.
Also a Good time to inspect the expansion tank if you have one and make sure its working properly and have the match psi of your water supply line.
Also a Good time to flush the T&P valve as well and inspect.
A water heater can last up to 15 years. I've seen water heaters fail after 5 years from sediment buildup.

Latest posts

Back