Can my pump tank be used as a lift station to tie into a new sewage system in my subdivision?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEG in Raleigh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a septic system that has a pump tank that pumps up to my septic field. My field is starting to fail. I live in a typical subdivision with 1 acre lots, except my property is in the back of that subdivison and is 11 acres. The neighborhood is served by a priviate utiltiy company, Aqua North Carolina. An Aqua North Carolina sewer main runs next to one of my property lines. I'm pretty sure I can tie into that sewer line and pay Aqua to be my sewer utility. We are on a well and I would continue to use the well for our water. The distance from my pump tank to where our waste line would tie into that sewer line is 500' - 600' so I'd have a sewer line trenched that distance to the sewer main. Here's my questions and I know there are code and local regs that my not allow this idea, but I'd like to hear what the experts on this forum have to say. Could I use my existing pump tank that is right next to my septic tank as a lift station to pump up to and across my property to that Aqua sewer main? The pump would only be pumping effluent as it is now, and Iand would continue to have my septic tank pumped every couple of years.

Is that kind of setup done?
Would I need to pump from the septic pump tank up to another pump station which would then pump to the sewer main? The electrical required is not a problem.
If this is not how this situation would be handled, please tell me how it should be done.

Thanks.

I’d pump and fill the septic tank.

If you have a pump basin of adequate size and construction then it could be used to pump to the sewer.

I’d pump and fill the septic tank.

If you have a pump basin of adequate size and construction then it could be used to pump to the sewer.
Thank you. My pump tank is precast concrete and is 1000 gallons. Am I understanding correctly that where my current waste line enters the septic tank, I'd add a coupling and continue that waste line right through the septic tank until it entered the pump tank so it bypasses dumping into the septic tank. My current pump is an effluent pump so I'd need to change that to a sewage ejection pump since the solids would now be going into the pump tank. Am I correct about this?

Latest posts

Back