Burst or Open Trench?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanGuy

Reaction score
I need to replace my sewer line from the house to the city hookup due to breakage of the old clay pipe.

Cost for open trench method is 2600 from one company and burst method is 3300 by a larger company. Burst, of course, avoids yard damage. But is one method better than the other from a strictly plumbing standpoint?

One guy said told me that since the pipe pulled in by the burst method is more flexible, it could cause problems following dips or soft spots in the existing run (which I don't know if there are any).

Thanks for any help!

I have never used or had any other experience with the burst method. But the concerns expressed by the "one guy" do make some sense to me.

If there are any trees that would or might be damaged by trenching, that is another consideration as well. There is another thread on here on this subject, I will see if I can find it.

Thanks! I always try to "search" for the answer first, but couldn't seem to find anything. If you do, I appreciate it.

Back