Broken Cast Iron Pipe in kitchen sink?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjeep01

Reaction score
Hi, my kitchen sink was draining very slowly so I called a plumber to look into what could be the cause. He used a camera to show me that the cast iron pipe was broken and I would either have to have the pipe replaced (about $6700 due to possibly tearing up the concrete floor) or have some contraption adapted to the existing plumbing that would basically catch the water from the kitchen sink (bypassing the original drain pipe) and reroute it to the main pipe (about $3500). One's an expensive option, the other a VERY expensive option. I've attached photos of the pipe via the camera he used. I couldn't tell whether the pipe was broken so I was hoping one of you could verify. Additionally, are those prices fair for either option? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Attachments

• 6290119180739241826001.jpg
    6290119180739241826001.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 6290119180739241826002.jpg
    6290119180739241826002.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 0
That photo is worthless to my eyes. They should have given you a video or allowed you to transfer it to your computer or emailed it.
If the pipe is broken, then the degree of offset, if any is a factor.
nobody can give you a bid on NO INFORMATION.
If they gave you a bid, then it can be evaluated.

Thank you for replying. They promised repair estimates, but I haven't heard anything from them since.
They did say that they could cable it, but the snake may get stuck and they'll have to cut the cable and leave it.
Is there any way to tell definitively that the pipe is indeed broken?
I want to do this right, but am afraid they are not being honest.

I do not trust those people as far as i can throw my truck. For that type of money get several quotes from other companies. Do not tell them what the OG company said. If your pipe is truly broke it should drain fine as it is just dumping into the ground. There are hundreds of nightmare stories of these roto type companies scamming people.

I do not trust those people as far as i can throw my truck. For that type of money get several quotes from other companies. Do not tell them what the OG company said. If your pipe is truly broke it should drain fine as it is just dumping into the ground. There are hundreds of nightmare stories of these roto type companies scamming people.
That's exactly what I did, got several different estimates and ended up with a good company that was able to come today, snaked the drain, said it was fine, with no breaks in the pipe. I'm just thankful it's resolved and I found someone honest. Thank you so much for posting your thoughts, it really helped.

Latest posts

Back