Best Cable Tie Material for use in Septic Tanks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camdo

Reaction score
After 10 years without fault, my septic tank cable ties have become embrittled and breaking loose. I want to replace the ties with a material that will last forever. The ties are located in the pump tank and retain the float switch and pump electrical cables. Cable tie offerings for sale include Plastic, Nylon, Nylon 12, Polypropylene, PEEK, Acetal, PPS, ETFE, ECTFE, 304 Stainless Steel, 316 Stainless Steel, Plastic Coated Stainless Steel, and Aluminum.

I am leaning towards Polypropylene, but would like to hear from people with their experience of various materials. What do you use and what has been its working life in a septic tank environment?

Search words: Zip Tie Wire Tie Zip-Tie Wire-tie Cable-Tie

Stainless steel would last forever
Yes it would. But, would it cut into the cable jacket? Special tool to tension and cut off is $80. Ties cost $1.50+ each. If you cut it with a snip or back bend break off, there is a sharp and pointy edge to deal with. Plastic coated stainless steel even more at $3.50+ each. Possible electric shock issues if the tie should cut the jacket. Cumbersome to work with?

That’s the only cable tie that I know will last forever. Thats what you said you wanted, it to last forever.

Personally I rarely use cable zip ties to secure pump control floats. It’s definitely a weak point. I like a rail system with weighted floats and cable restraints.

That’s the only cable tie that I know will last forever. Thats what you said you wanted, it to last forever.

Personally I rarely use cable zip ties to secure pump control floats. It’s definitely a weak point. I like a rail system with weighted floats and cable restraints.

I will modify the request for the cable ties to last the life of the float switches which in my experience is 20 years.

My system uses a horizontal PVC pipe as a hanging rail. The float switch cord was secured with a cable tie as it made a 90 degree bend into the tank. The system is 20 years old. I replaced the cable ties 10 years ago when one broke. so I know the nylon ties will only last 10 years max. This current failure, also due to a cable tie break, but this time 2 float switches have also failed (in shorted state). I think the switch cord has become weak with age and my handling has caused the short. I tried to improve the system by using an insulated wire clamp rather than a cable tie to hold the wire. The cable may have been over squeezed by the clamp. I will investigate the cause when I replace the switches in a few weeks.

I purchased 4 new weighted float switches and also got 4 pipe clamps normally used on vertical float trees. I will try to utilize the pipe clamp in a horizontal position (i.e. wire exiting the clamp vertically).

Regardless of how I secure the float switches, I still need reliable cable ties to tidy up all the wire.

After 10 years without fault, my septic tank cable ties have become embrittled and breaking loose. I want to replace the ties with a material that will last forever. The ties are located in the pump tank and retain the float switch and pump electrical cables. Cable tie offerings for sale include Plastic, Nylon, Nylon 12, Polypropylene, PEEK, Acetal, PPS, ETFE, ECTFE, 304 Stainless Steel, 316 Stainless Steel, Plastic Coated Stainless Steel, and Aluminum.

I am leaning towards Polypropylene, but would like to hear from people with their experience of various materials. What do you use and what has been its working life in a septic tank environment?

Search words: Zip Tie Wire Tie Zip-Tie Wire-tie Cable-Tie
These SJE Rhombus clamps work great

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Clamp-...4gDOqFvcF198zrECEFMh0oQNGCxBYbixoCbaUQAvD_BwE

Also, the STF-FHPB Float Holder Piggy Back by SIM-TECH work great. You can buy directly from SIM-TECH. I used these on my float tree. https://www.simtechfilterinc.com/float-tree-accessories

Attachments

• IMG_3763.JPG
    IMG_3763.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3764.JPG
    IMG_3764.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3766.JPG
    IMG_3766.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3767.JPG
    IMG_3767.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I will modify the request for the cable ties to last the life of the float switches which in my experience is 20 years.

My system uses a horizontal PVC pipe as a hanging rail. The float switch cord was secured with a cable tie as it made a 90 degree bend into the tank. The system is 20 years old. I replaced the cable ties 10 years ago when one broke. so I know the nylon ties will only last 10 years max. This current failure, also due to a cable tie break, but this time 2 float switches have also failed (in shorted state). I think the switch cord has become weak with age and my handling has caused the short. I tried to improve the system by using an insulated wire clamp rather than a cable tie to hold the wire. The cable may have been over squeezed by the clamp. I will investigate the cause when I replace the switches in a few weeks.

I purchased 4 new weighted float switches and also got 4 pipe clamps normally used on vertical float trees. I will try to utilize the pipe clamp in a horizontal position (i.e. wire exiting the clamp vertically).

Regardless of how I secure the float switches, I still need reliable cable ties to tidy up all the wire.
Sorry, just saw that you have a horizontal setup. You might be able to adapt the SIM-TECH clamps to your horizontal PVC pipe from which you are hanging your floats.

Also, the STF-FHPB Float Holder Piggy Back by SIM-TECH work great. You can buy directly from SIM-TECH. I used these on my float tree. https://www.simtechfilterinc.com/float-tree-accessories
Thanks JEG in Raleigh for the Sim-Tech lead. Lots of good products there. I took note of their pump filter as I saw sludge in my pump chamber and was wondering if that was going to clog the field distribution pipes. I think when I replace the float switches, the tanks should be pumped and all sludge cleaned from the pump chamber.

I use a stainless bracket that these slide into and hold the wire. The floats have weights that set the level.

https://www.grainger.com/product/19...VJVJ_AB3nMwpLEAQYByABEgI4__D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I was wondering what was used to hold the float switch wire. Is the 19XL21 strain relief, in the above link, for 5/16 diameter cord found on float switches using 18/2 gauge wire? Is it used on SJE Rhombus 4 float bracket 1009432.
https://www.sjerhombus.com/products/float-bracket/

I’m not sure what size is innthe link, but I use those type.

My local professional pump supply store sells them along with everything rise but they don’t mail order or have a website.

Panduit has an informative chart of cable tie material compatibility with various materials. Unfortunately, the chart defines life expectancy is in terms of ultraviolet resistance which is not relevant to septic tank exposure, but the chart does rate chemical resistance which is of interest. The chart can be found here: https://www.panduit.com/content/dam/panduit/en/products/media/7/17/317/8317/111208317.pdf

The best suggestion I found was to use the material that septic filters are made of, as those are exposed to the septic environment and tested survivable by their manufacturer. For that I refer to PolyLok Zabel A-1800 touted as "now made of polypropylene for added strength". So that clenched my decision to use polypropylene cable ties.

I purchased a broken bag of 100 on ebay but found out later they can be purchased individually on Mouser.com. Panduit PLT3H-TL109 Cable Ties 11.38 x .30 inch green polypropylene.

Latest posts

Back