bathtub and shower on one p-trap?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pihls

Reaction score
I am remodeling a bathroom to add a shower and replace the old tub. The existing p-trap for the tub does not line up with the tub drain as is conventionally shown. It is offset about 12 inches. My question is can I connect the new shower pan and the new bathtub to the same (existing) p-trap. The arrangement would be shower pan, and tub tee'ed into the p-trap, then vent, and then drain to the septic tank.
The structure is concrete slab. The water level in the p-trap is about 9 inches below the current slab floor surface so both fixtures would be above the p-trap water level.

Don't have a code book real handy, but as I recall code does not allow for two fixtures to be drained into the same trap, with some exceptions.

The vent needs to be between the fixtures as well.

Venting is the issue that forces inspectors to fail plumbers most often. Understanding venting methods and implementing them is difficult.

Doubt you can do this. Most Codes require a 1-1/2" drain for tubs and 2" for showers. Reason is that showers have low sides and the chance of flooding is more likely than with a tub/shower combination.

Back