applying rootx in a horizontal indoor cleanout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebody_2008

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got some Rootx to try (tree roots in our sewer line, been having it augured the last few years). Our plumber will come to do the application, but he's not familiar with using the product.

On the website, they have a video where you pour the (powder) down an outside vertical cleanout, but our cleanout is in our basement, about 3 feet from the floor, so it's horiztontal. The Rootx rep mentioned it would be best if we could get the product a ways into the cleanout, perhaps via a pvc pipe or the like.

We have 4 lbs. of powder to get in there -- has anyone done this, or does anyone have any ideas about getting the stuff in the there? My only thought is a pvc pipe, get the powder in there, & push through with a smaller size pvc.

You can also apply via the toilet, but they say the cleanout is best.

Thanks for any ideas!

Sorry, but I am not a believer in any product that stops roots from growing in pipes. Think about it. The pipe(s) have holes in them from the past root invasion. This allows water to leak out and make a natural source of water for any roots in the area. You can add chemicals or keep auguring, but to cure the problem you need to dig up and replace the bad section of pipe with PVC.

You have a point there Majak.

Although, I have used this particular product on many occassions, and have had success with it. Proven by follow ups with my sewer camera. The main thing is that it can reduce the frequency of needeing to cable the lines. Root-X gives a 1 yr warranty. For some of my customers this is a great selling point.

That said, the toilet application method is not recommended. Although in the right circumstances can be effective. The foaming reaction when the Root-X comes in contact with water is EXPLOSIVE! So if your putting it in a toilet and there is a floor drain downstream you will have a mess on your hands (ask me how I know :D). For that reason a cleanout is the best option.

I imagine your cleanout has a threaded opening. If so then there should be a way for you to "rig" a vertical insertion point of your own. I'm thinking thread a PVC adapter into your cleanout and then glue whatever fittings and pipe necessary to get the pipe high enough for you to put the Root-X and water in without making a mess. (I would think 3-4 ft high would be adequate).

Follow what I'm saying?

Thanks Reedwalker. I guess I am always looking at permanent solutions to problems. I really hate when a customer states " I just paid to have this solved a year ago". If augering or adding a chemical for a temporary fix is what someone wants, by all means, give it to them.

Apparently the people who owned my house prior to me did some kind of roto-rootering to get roots out of my sewer line... fast forward to a little less then a year ago when my sewer line was completely broken from roots, unbenonst to me, and i had to dig up the whole thing. I was soo mad that the previous owners (apparently it was 2 owners ago) had just put a bandaid on it rather then fixing it the right way.

Thanks for the reply guys!

We don't have the funds for a more permanent fix (digging up & replacing the sewer line) right now. I would've preferred to do that, if we'd been able to.

One thing I read or heard is that, even if you do that, eventually the roots will find their way in, even with pvc. (We've got 2 thirsty maples too close to the line). I'd be interested to know if that's true or not.

What my plumber wound up doing was installing a vertical insertion point a few feet up the stack, it worked well for the application. I took a few photos of the tree roots that day, and we're going to check it in November (6 month period when they should be gone, or at least less). Hopefully, if the stuff works, we can apply it yearly & not have to auger the line (and one day replace the line ;-)

As it turned out, the roots weren't totally blocking the line, but they were certainly going to keep growing through the summer.

Cleanout61710beforeRootxapplicationcustomerJanHouse.jpg

Back