Add'l s/o valve after stop valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youracman

Reaction score
I would like to add a second valve after the existing stop valve (both hot and cold, actually) in a 70's vintage condo. The existing stop valves are really rough and "grindy" so I would like to add a 3/8" 1/4-turn valve on the end of them and just leave the original stop valves in the "on" position permanently (kinda let the sleeping dog lie approach.) I believe this is done frequently but I am not finding a valve of this type online or at my big box store. What would such a valve be called? Got a link to Amazon, Home Depot or Lowe's handy?
Many thanks,
Ed S in Denver

What brand are they, some are rebuildable just 2 washers, if not you would not leave those valves there they could leak at some point then your shutting down again

Not sure of the brand installed. They are in my daughter's ski condo up in the mountains and appear to be the original stop valves. In order to work on them/replace them you have to call a licensed plumber and they set up a time with HOA management to shut off the water to the whole building (40 units) to do the work. Plumbers and other trade folks are super expen$ive in mountain towns.

It most likely is not best practice to add a second (in line) valve, but I believe it is "allowable".

Thanks for the response. I plan to check my local Lowe's and a Home Depot here in Denver today. Sometimes HD has a retired plumber on staff to help. If I find the valves I am looking for, I'm thinkin' they will be compression-type 3/8 female inlet and 3/8 male outlet. I'll post a pic if I am successful.

Best,
Ed S in Denver

They are 70 miles or so west of my home in Denver, but I will take a before and after picture of the work this weekend while I am up there (Copper Mountain, CO) and post when I return. BTW-I believe I have found the valves I need to install at a Home Depot store in Morrison, CO ........ we'll see.

Here’s a coupla pics, Tom. I annotated them ……….. mostly to remind me of how I did the job. I used ACE hdwe valves (about $15 and change); Home Depot showed the equivalent on their website and said 2 were available at 2 different locations, but that was a total bust. Gave up and went to Ace hardware. Quite a Christmas tree, but it works. If it was at a regular residence, I would have shut off the water at the street and removed/replaced the original stop valves. But these are in a condo and no DIY involving total bldg shutoff is permitted. Obviously, not best practice, but it works. You may have to click on the pics to enlarge enough to read my notes.

Best,

Ed S in Denver

A 92 y/o DIYer :^)

Attachments

• Copper Mtn Condo Shutoff Valves.jpg
    Copper Mtn Condo Shutoff Valves.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ACE Valve.jpg
    ACE Valve.jpg
    880.2 KB · Views: 0
Back