50 gallon electric water heater question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglesclaw121

Reaction score
We must get one soon as ours is leaking. I've done a lot of research and I'm lost. Depending on the plumber you contact, some recommend the AO Smith (I've read a lot of negative reviews on this brand). I was leaning towards a GE model but other plumbers say the tank is "too thin". HUH? The GE has a 12 year warranty while the brands they install only have a 6 year warranty. So, isn't the GE better? Then I'm told I have to purchase a "drip pan", which ours doesn't have. Any recommendations?

Many plumbers will persuade you towards a product where there is more profit to be made. Water heaters are simple to install but if you don't feel up to it, most large "big box" stores are pretty impartial on which brand you select, and will install it at a low cost to you.

As far as the pan, if the WH is being installed inside or where a leaking tank could cause damage to your interior, it is a must. Pans come in various sizes, but sometimes would have to be custom made of the WH is an unusual size or your closet (if you have one) is unusually small. Also, keep in mind that the drip pan must have a drain line installed, so there may be an additional cost.

My back is telling me that 50 gallon electric lowboy water heaters are HEAVY. Yesterday and today, carrying them to the 2nd and 3rd floor on our backs. There oughta be a law against these $%%**^) things.

Anyway, on to the question at hand. Keep in mind that I am not a service plumber, so i don't have a lot of first hand experience as to what brand of water heater lasts the longest. But I can say that we mainly plumb apartments, and we use almost exclusively A O Smith units. And most of the time, the cheapest initial cost is what ends up getting installed, rather than which is the most trouble free over the long haul. And that observation is worth just about what you paid for it.

For a moment to haul it, no problem. For installation, a big problem. If you physically lay it down, be aware that you could crush the components, so keep that side up.

Drain pans have been added into the Plumbing Code in some areas. The ones I have installed required 1" piping to the outside of the home. Carefully read the warranty. many are not worth the paperwork they are written on. Many also have restrictions on who can install them. The main complaint I have seen on the Smith units (gas) is the thermo-coupler going bad in 2 years or less. You can lay a tank down for shipping but it cannot be installed any direction but upright.

Back