1950s below slab lateral drain fun

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2002sheds

Reaction score
Hi All,
My plumbing adventures with our 1950s slab floor continue… this time with a slow drain from the laundry area (garage) and sometimes also the drain from the kitchen sink that joins it as the pipe heads all the way across the house to meet the main drain at the toilet.
Being in the garage, the laundry drain connection is kind of “made up” — as in it is a tall enough length of ABS with a fitting at the top for the washing machine drain hose and a P trap at the bottom which is attached to the threaded original 1-1/2” steel nipple that sticks out of the wall from the T fitting there (wet vent).
The original part of the drain (embedded in the concrete then drops below the slab into an elbow, and then heads on its way to the bathroom and then street.
Getting a snake in there may be possible, but involves the snake heading in horizontally for about 4 inches, then down around 6 inches where it meets a second obstacle (elbow) where it has to make another 90 degree turn before heading down to wherever the clogs start.
I was hoping to use a hydro jet-type device in conjunction with a pressure washer, but I’m unsure if the business end is short enough to make those two turns.
I have the remnants of a cool, “bullet” jet apparatus that is pretty short and was connected to a length of vinyl hose before converting to a garden hose fitting. It easily fits into 1-1/2” pipe and works really well, but I managed to misplace both the rounded “bullet” and as well as a smaller, cylinder shaped end.
I thought that this kit would be easy to find and replace, but so far, no joy. If any of you have suggestions regarding the best way to get that lateral drain cleared (or the name of the device I described), I’d be grateful.

Thanks!
David

I’d cut in a cleanout and use a 3/8 x 50’ drain cable.

Hi Twowax,
I like the idea of adding a cleanout and I also do have a powered 3/8” drain snake.
I am just trying to understand where the cleanout would go. I can see the outside of the 1-1/2” pipe in the slab foundation footing where it travels vertically from the tee fitting down to underneath the slab floor, because the garage area is around 7 inches lower than the rest of the house. Perhaps I could break out the floor where it meets the pipe? Or?

Thanks,
David

Hi Twowax, All,
Below is a cross section of the existing setup. If I could break into the concrete from the garage side and install a tee where the elbow is now, I would have a straight shot into the lateral.
The question, of course, is how deep does that pipe go before connecting to the 90? If it is above the garage floor it will be a LOT easier to get at than if is below it…
Any of you guys able to answer how deep/thick the original slab floor would’ve been? 4 inches? And how much deeper would the pipe have been set? This end would be the highest point of the whole run…

FEE12922-FB51-4A27-8781-005C2AEC169A.jpeg

Just cut into the vent and install a cleanout.

No need to break slab.

Back