plumber putty

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
How can I make plumbers putty sticky, so that I can use it inside of a toilet on the flush valve with with a pressure nut to hold it down,
thanks.

What are you trying to accomplish, exactly? :confused:

How can I make plumbers putty sticky, so that I can use it inside of a toilet on the flush valve withOUT with a pressure nut to hold it down,

I need to replace the flush flapper. This is a one piece American Standard 1987 model no replacement art is available. One of the ring holes that the flapper clips into is broken and I am trying to use a replacement flapper assembly that has the putty for the attachment of the new flapper. Press fit. The problem is that the hole that it attached to is 1/16" larger than the replacement flapper kit so I need it build it up a little bit. regular plumbers putty pulls off after about 4 or 5 flushes.

Thank you for comments and help

My advise is to spend $12.24 and do it correctly by replacing the broken flush valve. Home Depot has them BTW.

96b27d5e-967a-4d3e-99da-6973710c72e2_400.jpg

Reactions: SHR
My advise is to spend $12.24 and do it correctly by replacing the broken flush valve. Home Depot has them BTW.

He's right to suggest replacing flush valve. However, the one shown is for a 2 pc toilet. will not work on a 1pc.

Sorry, I didn't catch that we were talking about a one piece toilet. My philosophy is that when the thinking and the parts become out of control, it could possibly be time to just remove the old toilet and replace everything with a brand new, water conserving toilet. Less headaches in my opinion.

How can I make plumbers putty sticky, so that I can use it inside of a toilet on the flush valve withOUT with a pressure nut to hold it down,

I need to replace the flush flapper. This is a one piece American Standard 1987 model no replacement art is available. One of the ring holes that the flapper clips into is broken and I am trying to use a replacement flapper assembly that has the putty for the attachment of the new flapper. Press fit. The problem is that the hole that it attached to is 1/16" larger than the replacement flapper kit so I need it build it up a little bit. regular plumbers putty pulls off after about 4 or 5 flushes.

Thank you for comments and help

**edit

Disregard

Last edited:
How can I make plumbers putty sticky, so that I can use it inside of a toilet on the flush valve with with a pressure nut to hold it down,
thanks.

this reminds me of a call we got at a university to auger a toilet
we walked into the room, maintenance guy was pushing the auger down thru the tank.
I pulled up a chair and watched the fun. then fell out from laughing so hard

The parts should still be available. Look on the inside of the tank and/or lid for model numbers.
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/contactus.aspx
Does this look like the flush valve?

Thanks for the all posts.

This does not look exactly like it but close. When I contacted American standard they told me that the gasket was available but the assembly that i needed.
I agree it would be much easier to just replace the part. that go thru the mess.
I am disabled and not able to pull and replace the toilet that would also be an option. it is up several flights of stairs and the price to replace it just to expensive due to the labor costs. Who would think two plumbers at full rate to replace a toilet. i'll figure something out thanks for the advice.

Since you are disabled, contact a service group in your area such as Elks, Eagles, Moose, Rotary, Kiwanis, or even your local police station. There are many groups in my area who would love to come over and give you some needed help.

Since you are disabled, contact a service group in your area such as Elks, Eagles, Moose, Rotary, Kiwanis, or even your local police station. There are many groups in my area who would love to come over and give you some needed help.

Thank you. I just hate to be a burden to anyone unless it is absolutely necessary and if I can find a fix without having to pull and replace the toilet I will be able to do it myself. So I will keep working at it. I am fortunate to have more than one toilet so I am still able to carry on my daily functions, if you know what I mean.

Thank

Latest posts

Back