Best brand of expansion tank?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbustaylor

Reaction score
It appears I need to replace the expansion tank that is currently in my home (something that was already installed when I bought the home). Is there a "best" brand? Does brand even matter? I can't really tell the difference when I look at what's out there. Home Depot has Amtrol, Watts, Zurn-Wilkins and Water Worker - what's best?

The water heater has nothing to do with what size tank you need. Amtrol used to be the best hands down, now they make a tank for big box stores. You can bet it's been scaled down. So in order, Well-X-Trol, Flexcon (comes in several flavors) then Zilmet. If you want quality, stay away from any big box store. The size of the tank depends on what kind of pump you have. Jet or Submersible. Remember that bigger is always better with tanks. Cycling a pump motor on and off will kill it eventually. So the bigger tank cuts down on cycles.

Sorry for the confusion, but I'm not on a well. Technically a thermal expansion tank. Currently have a 4.4 gallon size model.

Latest posts

Back