what model is this delta stem?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdb007

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, new to the forum here. Hoping someone has an easy answer here. We purchased our home 7 years ago which was built in 88. The builder used Delta faucets in sinks and showers and they have been trouble free. However in the kids bath the faucet started leaking a week ago. This is a pic of the stem. We had a free plumbing inspection done by a company 3 years ago and they said you will have to replace these someday and there is a special tool to remove it. However they want about $200 for each one and i said no thanks.
It looks like a simple clip in there but didn't want to take it the plate off just yet.

I have been searching the past 3 days and can only fins articles or videos for newer delta stems which are 13/1400 and newer. Can some one tell me which one this is so I can replace it?

Thanks
Bill

Delta stem.jpg

John is right. That's Moen, not delta, and you don't need a special tool. Cartridges are lifetime warranty, Moen will mail them to you for free, you need #1225B. Instructions come in the box.

Oh thats fantastic thanks very much. Yeah there was no marking on the handle to indicate it was a moen I just assumed because everything else had delta markings. Well that would certainly explain why I couldn't find any Delta product that looked like it! had no idea they had lifetime warranty I will inquire with them. And even better Moen is based right here in Cleveland.
I just looked at their warranty, I would have to have the paperwork and it looks like only after 1995 it may be covered. $20 isn't a big deal to replace so i'll hit HD tonight on the way home. And if that is the original cartridge 28 years is really good! And thanks for the heads up, I figured that HVAC/Plumbing place was blowing smoke up my...about a special tool. The stupid kid obviously failed to see my tool collection and that I was capable of doing the job my self.

Last edited:
ok one more question the 1225 looks to be for a sink not shower, is the same cartridge used in both applications? and i do see a cartridge puller but if i can just pull out with my pliers i will do that.

1225 is for sink faucets and the Moentrol style valves.

ok then which one is for the the shower? Or should I just pull it out and go match it up at HD?

ok then which one is for the the shower? Or should I just pull it out and go match it up at HD?

I have the same one. It's a 1225. Get a Moen brand, not the cheaper aftermarket ones by Danco. After you pull it apart and remove the copper retaining clip, the parts can be hard to pull out. You can screw a small bolt into it (I forget the size, 10-32 maybe), grab the head with a pliers, then tap outward on the pliers.

Perfect thank you for the advice DFB! yes I see HD have the Danco puller for $15 but figured there was a way around that for something I would use twice!

Latest posts

Back