Constant pressure and Flow

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike2016

Reaction score
Hope I ask this correctly.

With the heating system off on a radiator heating system, the water pressure is at 15PSI. This pressure was gained from the cities fresh water line and is regulated with the regulator down to 15PSI.

Curious to know if this pressure has any effect on the flow of water through out the heating system when the pumps are turned on.

Thanks

No, it does not. Pressure is relative, the only pressure that matters regarding flow in your heating system is the positive/negative pressures created by the circulators, and resistance to flow caused by pipe runs and fittings.

No, it does not. Pressure is relative, the only pressure that matters regarding flow in your heating system is the positive/negative pressures created by the circulators, and resistance to flow caused by pipe runs and fittings.

I'm impressed phishfood. Where did you get your experience with hot water heating?

While visualizing this it did not make sense to me that it would have any impact on the flow. The pressure is constant and equal through out the system and shouldn't have any effect. So it can be 1000 or 5 psi and only the pumps would dictate the flow.

This question arose for me when I read someone else suggesting they leave the pressure at a certain PSI depending on how many levels the house is. I presume this pressure is only needed to Auto feed and to lift against the water above. The higher the building the more PSI needed for the Auto fill to work properly but no effect on the flow.

Cool stuff and thank you once again.

I'm impressed phishfood. Where did you get your experience with hot water heating?

I don't have any experience per se, but I am constantly trying to learn anything I can about plumbing. I learn things from this forum on a regular basis, read install manuals, me and the apprentice just took a gas controls class yesterday, look stuff up in code books, whatever I can to learn.

Since I haven't said it lately, thank you for the knowledge you have passed along to me. Several times it has been of great value to myself and my customers, and I promise you that I will be passing it on to my apprentice and others.

Latest posts

Back