Well pressure tank issue.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dastunz

Reaction score
Hey guys the bladder in my old tank went and pump was running every time I turned on the water. I swapped it out with a new tank same size as the old one. Now my pump does not turn on every time I turn the water on but I still feel it is short cycling. Pressure in tank is set at 38psi. My pressure switch is a 40/60 switch. When I turn my water on the pressure works its way down to 50psi and then drops almost instantly below 40 and pump kicks on. I think I somehow got air trapped into the water side of my pressure tank when I filled it after install and that is causing my issue. Any advice on how to get air out of the water side and properly filling it with water? When my pressure gauge reads 60psi the tank still feels very light like it's only holding a few gallons of water. It's a 40 gallon tank. Any advice is much appreciated.

Swapped out pressure switch stem and gauge and all is well now.

With your 40/60 switch you do need 38 psi of air in the tank. But you can only do this when the tank is void of water pressure.
The reason your pressure drops from 50 to 40 so quick is because you have 50 psi of air in the bladder tank. Remember, only check the air pressure when the water pressure in the system is at zero.

Latest posts

Back