Difference between UPC fuel code and International Fuel Gas Code

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. New guy here with a broad question. What are the primary differences between UPC fuel gas code and International Fuel Gas Code? Thanks in advance!

you would have to sit down with both books and read line by line to find the difference

i dont have the time

do you have a specific question

figured. no specific question. Apprenticed and carded in Ca where its UPC and moved to Co where its IPC. bought the new'15 IPC code book and didn't realize that the gas portion is separate for additional $80+:confused: unlike the UPC which is $130 but includes the fuel gas portion of code. so far not impressed with IPC especially since its not affiliated with ANSI

when did colorado switch ? it was upc 15 years ago

where at in colorado,,,i worked telluride,montrose,colorado springs,denver, breckenridge, aspin,
durango, and a couple others

i know of a good company if you are around co springs

Not sure when it changed. Im in Fort Collins. Talking with the recruiters of RKMI but also thinking of carding with Local 3 in Aurora and working for Wray's Plumbing since they have some big projects at CSU just a few miles from me. Just trying to get my ducks in a row about the IPC and UPC differences before i test for the Master Plumber card.

Not sure when it changed. Im in Fort Collins. Talking with the recruiters of RKMI but also thinking of carding with Local 3 in Aurora and working for Wray's Plumbing since they have some big projects at CSU just a few miles from me. Just trying to get my ducks in a row about the IPC and UPC differences before i test for the Master Plumber card.

Cobb mechanical i colorado springs

they have a traing program they pay for IF you keep a "B" average

i worked for them for 10 years, i did the 4 , 3 story honor dorms with dining hall, and fort carson MP barracks in the colorado springs
then moved to texas and work there for them their prisons, jails, airports

they pay good, good benefits

hate to bust your bubble
but you have got to hold a journeyman's for a minimum year, before you can test for master
to get a journeyman, you need documented 4 years provable hours to test as journeyman
and a master card holder in that state to sign for you

Last edited:
Cobb mechanical i colorado springs

they have a traing program they pay for IF you keep a "B" average

i worked for them for 10 years, i did the 4 , 3 story honor dorms with dining hall, and fort carson MP barracks in the colorado springs
then moved to texas and work there for them their prisons, jails, airports

they pay good, good benefits

hate to bust your bubble
but you have got to hold a journeyman's for a minimum year, before you can test for master
to get a journeyman, you need documented 4 years provable hours to test as journeyman
and a master card holder in that state to sign for you

I did not know that i had to hold a Journeyman card for a year. No biggie was trying to avoid the test facility twice thats all. Already did a apprenticeship and hold a NITC and City of LA Journeyman cards since 2008. Do i still have to show work hours to test for a basic card? Was hoping to just show my current cards and proof of my apprenticeship. Would seem redundant to want to see them still plus many of the companies I worked for are no longer around.... Thx for all your advice!

you need your current card to show hours up to this point
you need proof of 4 years worth of hours to take jounneymens test
before you leave, get letters from employeer stating employment
it will help a lot. they will ask, and verify

bottom line, they want proof of 4 years apprentiship you will not test till they have it

if you have a journeyman card from la that is currant cool, they will let you test

you need your current card to show hours up to this point
you need proof of 4 years worth of hours to take jounneymens test
before you leave, get letters from employeer stating employment
it will help a lot. they will ask, and verify

bottom line, they want proof of 4 years apprentiship you will not test till they have it

if you have a journeyman card from la that is currant cool, they will let you test

both of my cards are current. thx for the advice again!

Latest posts

Back