Moen single handle shower valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearman

Reaction score
I have installed a new moen shower valve. Uses cartridge number 1222

once water is turned on, and rotate valve, get nothing but a few drips.

thought that cartridge possibly damaged, install a new one same issue.

take cartridge out and turn water on to see if we have good pressure to valve body. It seems that we do.

I am lost, I do not see what the cause could be and about to pull valve body out and go get another.

Is there something I am overlooking?

Parts of the old cartridge are lodged in the valve body. Remove the cartridge and check the water ports on the inside of the valve body. You may have to flush the valve body with the stem out. Just place a glass over the valve body and turn the water on slowly.

Parts of the old cartridge are lodged in the valve body. Remove the cartridge and check the water ports on the inside of the valve body. You may have to flush the valve body with the stem out. Just place a glass over the valve body and turn the water on slowly.

Thanks for reply

Sorry, i thought that I stated clear enough in original post that I pulled cartridge out and turned water on, guess not, but I have "flushed" 3 times now and have Good pressure.

Original cartridge has no signs of of damage, all parts are there and match replacement cartridge (so to me, that means no parts are in valve body) but I have looked all 3 times that I pulled cartridge out.

water flows and fills 5 gallon bucket in short order with cartridge out.

cartridge in, nothing. now not even a drop out of it.

How likely that valve body is bad from MFG?

What else can I test before ultimately removing / replacing with another?

Will check the balance pressure spool when I am back to project tomorrow. Thanks

there is no hot water as the heater is currently off line during project.

But I do not understand when there is cold, with good pressure/flow, why nothing will come out of valve when stem is turned to any position.

thanks again for replies!

This might sound a bit silly but did you take off the shower head to make sure it was not blocked. The flow restrictors can become blocked especially after making a repair.

As Johnjh20 stated, your problem is very basic, the hot and cold water must be on in order for ANY water to pass through the valve. Your 1222 cartridge equalizes the pressure of both hot and cold water to the lower of the two pressures. You state your hot water IS SHUT OFF(???) thus no hot water pressure. The cartridge is doing it's job perfectly by balancing both water pressures to zero. Turn the hot water back on to check the valve operation.

This might sound a bit silly but did you take off the shower head to make sure it was not blocked. The flow restrictors can become blocked especially after making a repair.

No shower head installed yet, just bear copper pipe currently.

As Johnjh20 stated, your problem is very basic, the hot and cold water must be on in order for ANY water to pass through the valve. Your 1222 cartridge equalizes the pressure of both hot and cold water to the lower of the two pressures. You state your hot water IS SHUT OFF(???) thus no hot water pressure. The cartridge is doing it's job perfectly by balancing both water pressures to zero. Turn the hot water back on to check the valve operation.

Thanks so much for explanation. Will get waterheater back online and finish shower plumbing.

Didnt want to sheetrock until I had valve working properly..

thanks again guys!

Reactions: SHR
Update,

Water heater hookup up and system pressurized. Shower Valve works perfectly!

Thanks again for all the help!

Latest posts

Back