Connecting Condensate Pump output to main Drain/Septic using loop trap?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffw_00

Reaction score
Hi - For years, my furnace condensate pump has pumped through an exterior wall into a hole in the ground under an enclosed crawlspace. This has worked fine, but I'm about to replace my drum humidifier with a continuous flow unit, and I don't think the current setup will handle the additional volume (as much as 3g/hr).

I'm going to redirect the pump output using a 1/2" vinyl hose 25' across the ceiling of my basement (attached to the side of a ceiling joist), and connect it to a pvc pipe (outlet of a nearby bathroom sink) that connects to the adjacent main iron drainpipe.

I know I need a trap. I believe if I simply loop the vinyl hose several inches below the pvc pipe and then connect it to the top of the pvc pipe, that will provide a trap.

I will connect the vinyl hose to the PVC pipe by drilling a 1/2" hole in the top of the pipe, inserting a 1/2" to 1/2" connector, and caulking it in.

Will this work?

If not - I guess my plan B is to do all the work except connect the vinyl hose to the drain and instead pay a plumber to put in a J-trap (I'm not comfortable doing PVC work). I was hoping to avoid the expense but at least this should be a minimal one...

Thanks!
/j

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back