Hot water from cold faucets

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pupman

Reaction score
Hello everyone...Iam pupman and very new to this forum...I do not know if this is the right place for this subject but I figured hot water --water heater...well you get the idea... My problem is that after running for a minute or two the cool/ cold water turns hot...I do not mean the hose in the sun hot but the kind you can do your dishes and clothes with....and this is true for ALL faucets, showers, tubs and OUTDOOR faucet... There is nothing special about our system... no re-circ lines or pumps, no solar loops or lines too close to other sources of heat...just the basic branch offs for various cold water uses and the branch to hot water heater...have noticed the cold water inlet pipe to water heater is a little warmer than I would of thought normal....
Have read about problems with single handle Moen faucets and cartridge bleed thru and just so happens I have those kind of faucets and showers too, also have two handle kind. ALL with the same problem ...hot water from the cold side....
Can that much hot water bleed thru a cartridge or cartridges to effect the entire house?????? Is there a check valve inside the water heater that may gone out????
I have these question and more....If anyone can give me a hand would sure appreciate it..............
Thanks in advance

pupman...........

here is how I check the Moens for cross over.

Turn off the cold supply valve to the water heater. If it does not close 100% then you need to replace.
Then open a hot side of a 2 handle faucet.
Then I go listen to the Moen fixtures and you can hear the water passing through it if it has any cross over.

With the cold supply valve to the WH on, the cold line going into the water heater should be cold when you open any fixture to hot.

Another way is to open a fixture to cold, then feel all the supply lines on other fixtures and see if the cold supply gets hot.

Something is Restricting the cold flow and the hot is backflowing

Mr. David .....thanks for your help....ran in to a couple of stumbling blocks...there were no shut offs going in or out of WH. so I put a couple of them in....tried your ideas no water passing thru....then water/pipe got hot on cold water inlet....after re-re-re reading what we both wrote it dawned on me that I also forgot to include we are on a well system with a filter for iron (i bypassed filter several months ago when water pressure went too low) forgot to include it because I wrote my original msg. twice after not being able to post it....after writing it twice I was a little aggrevated and just forgot. But I do believe that we have a cold water block somewhere. Now have to find it......thanks again....

Latest posts

Back