Toilet Plumbing Slope Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeDivided

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm fairly new to this forum but a pretty accomplished DIYer (Last year I did a full house conversion from leaking old trunk and branch copper pipes to pex-manifold for my hot and cold water-I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pretty proud). This year I'm tackling my drain lines, and hoping to get some insights on a bit of a septic drain issue I have.

House is a Ranch with 2 Bathrooms on the above ground level (no basement bathrooms). The previous owner did the master bedroom/master bath as an addition to the older part of the house. The problem is the run from the master bath to the septic pipe that exits the house is too long, and there is next to no slope, and no way to gain slope without starting to take major chunks out of a LOT of joists - which I would rather avoid.

This means that at least once or twice a year (though seemingly with increased frequency lately) the toilet backs up. The only reliable way I can unclog is to open up and drain the 3" septic pipe from my crawlspace, and flush the clog out with one of those Bladder-on-a-garden-hose attachments (In hindsight, I now understand why there is a cleanout installed every 5 - 10 feet along the line...). As you might imagine, I am looking for a more elegant and more permanent solution.

The only way I could gain slope (aside from turning my joists into swiss cheese) would be to actually bore a new hole through the crawlspace foundation wall (cinderblocks), and attach to the septic tank outdoors. I have the tools needed to make the hole, and trench to the septic, but I feel that making that connection outside may be tougher than it seems on face value, and would honestly rather not mess with it.

Would an in-line pump of some sort be helpful in this situation? and if so, is there a model or company that anyone could recommend? I am trying not to break the bank here, and the toilet works 80% of the year no issues, so I don't think it needs the Tim the Toolman Tailor treatment - just something to build up a bit of pressure without having to actually take apart the plumbing and drain the septic line by hand.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TD

Last edited:
You could add a sewage ejector system.
sump fills and pumps it out.

use the existing flat line or replace it and bring it up for proper grade.

depending on the layout of the house, i have seen a fake beam installed to cover a sewer line

basically, run the pipe exposed and cover with a framed box, trimmed with crown molding

or, turn the plumbing to follow the joists, drop the pipe down outside, trench it around to the septic tank

Latest posts

Back