Pex Waterline Guide Idea - Thoughts?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubyap

Reaction score
This little ABS piece keeps your waterlines at a consistent height and distance... what do you guys think?

Ped Lav Guide Install Pic.jpg

The white lines are supply lines. Why is constant height or distance be important once they are connected? Although I would support the right side better if it were me.

Even a 2x4 between the supply and drain with a few zip ties.

Last edited:
The white lines are supply lines. Why is constant height or distance be important once they are connected? Although I would support the right side better if it were me.

Even a 2x4 between the supply and drain with a few zip ties.

It looks neat and professional, it ensures the drywaller can't mess up the lines. this way you don't need a 2x4. Quick installation as well, line it up, a little glue and your good to go.

What you have there is an installation where pipe are supported by other pipes, which is a violation of most codes. A similar product already exists and is not to be used in my area.

What you have there is an installation where pipe are supported by other pipes, which is a violation of most codes. A similar product already exists and is not to be used in my area.

You're right, however we've only had one inspector not allow it, and have made an effort to get it in front of as many inspectors as possible. Including the board in our area.

Do you remember what the similar product you've seen is called?

IMO the code is a little outdated.

Last edited:
Not much good for sinks that are arms. Which most kitchens are because of a window above. Lavs also with builtin medicine cabinets above the sink.

It was originally intended for ped/lav rough in's, but plumbers are coming up with new applications for it that we haven't even thought of.

Some use it on their kitchen installs just to keep the lines at the back and out of the way.

You're right, however we've only had one inspector not allow it, and have made an effort to get it in front of as many inspectors as possible. Including the board in our area.

Do you remember what the similar product you've seen is called?

IMO the code is a little outdated.

I don't remember what it is called, but all of the supply houses carry them. Of course they can sell something even though it's not approved by local codes.
I don't believe the code is outdated in this circumstance and I'll explain a few reasons why.
When a pipe supports another pipe, the supporting pipe can be stressed. When servicing, repairing or adding on to an existing pipe a plumber may have no idea what concealed pipe-to-pipe supports are in play and could do damage to good pipes or he could even get hurt by falling pipes. If an exception is made for lavs/pedistals, then where does the line get drawn for larger and heavier pipes where the above situations could be magnified?
I have been the victim of pipe-supporting-pipe installations and see it as an unnecessary shortcut to lessen the quality of the job.

I don't remember what it is called, but all of the supply houses carry them. Of course they can sell something even though it's not approved by local codes.
I don't believe the code is outdated in this circumstance and I'll explain a few reasons why.
When a pipe supports another pipe, the supporting pipe can be stressed. When servicing, repairing or adding on to an existing pipe a plumber may have no idea what concealed pipe-to-pipe supports are in play and could do damage to good pipes or he could even get hurt by falling pipes. If an exception is made for lavs/pedistals, then where does the line get drawn for larger and heavier pipes where the above situations could be magnified?
I have been the victim of pipe-supporting-pipe installations and see it as an unnecessary shortcut to lessen the quality of the job.

I see where you're coming from.

We represent it as a guide, not a hanger. It doesn't put any stress on the waste pipe. Ultimately it's up to the inspector, and from my experience they tend to agree that it meets code.

metal, not plastic

101_18r_pex.jpg

th

103_18_701_cpvc.jpg

103_18_pex.jpg

The pex guide should be faster, all you need is some glue!

house plumbing is a cut throat industry. every penny counts

if i plumb 400 houses this year, and pay 20 bucks per house on plastic brackets

that is 8 grand

or, i can buy 4 boxs of 100 each of copper 2 hole strap for 12 bucks a box

thats 50 bucks..

a plumber can install a 2x4 behind each fixture in less than 30 minutes

That's interesting, we should compare that to the $ amount saved in installation time, and see how it stacks up.

strapping is nothing,

cutting a board and installing is a 5 minute job

I understand what you are doing,,Good luck to you.

I am just trying to show you the other side of the coin

which is material is money,

labor is cheap

8 k vs 50 bucks. no brainer

The general feedback from builders and plumbers has been positive in our area, so I'm just trying to understand your objections, and understand if they are valid or specific to certain markets. That's all, good or bad it's all appreciated.

I dont really object. I would try them out,,

here are my concerns.

it is plastic. other trades do not give a tinkers damn about being careful around our pipes.

they run into the stub outs with their legs, with ladders and scaffolds

plastic is not going to hold up. BEEN THERE DONE THATt...it does not work
stakfix001_med.jpg

on top of that, they seem to not be adjustable.

if it is not adjustable, it will not work on 1/2 of the installations

which means, I have to have ANOTHER item on the truck to strap what this does not strap;

now, I have pipe straps taking up valuable storage space on the truck.

when its all said and done, the little 8x8 box of copper 2 hole strap
will be in the tool bin just where it has been for 30 years

Latest posts

Back