I need your opinion

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noahsmomma

Reaction score
I have a gravity-fed 500 gallon septic tank. Earlier today we had it pumped for the first time in 10 years. Upon having it pumped the gentleman told us that because it was so full, that there was more than likely a problem with the drain field or the pipes themselves. My only question is that is it absolutely 100% a positive thing, that there is something wrong with my septic tank? I really cannot afford 15 to $20,000 to have everything replaced and I am wondering if now that it's pumped it will return to being ok. What are your guys thoughts on the matter?

What happens when a septic isn't pumped for a long time it becomes filled with solids that are allowed into the drain fields. When this happens the drain fields become clogged. You will find out if this happened to your system once the tank refills. If the drain fields a clogged it will soon start backing up into the home. Hopefully this won't happen in your case.

What happens when a septic isn't pumped for a long time it becomes filled with solids that are allowed into the drain fields. When this happens the drain fields become clogged. You will find out if this happened to your system once the tank refills. If the drain fields a clogged it will soon start backing up into the home. Hopefully this won't happen in your case.

Is this always the case? Is it possible at all that it could just return back to normal?

An effluent filter will help prevent this and if not serviced properly, a back-flow valve installed will prevent the effluent from backing into the house. If the filter becomes blocked, the effluent will still backup but would not damage the leach-field or home.

Why not just properly service the tank instead of installing a filter that will also require servicing?

Unless the tank has a high water alarm, periods of heavy usage may raise the effluent level enough to allow floaters to exit the tank and enter the D-Box. The filter is just cheap insurance.

You have to lift the cover to inspect the effluent level periodically anyways. You would inspect and clean the filter (if necessary) at that point. Most pumpers offer a yearly inspection service (for a fee).

Septic System Rules.jpg

If it wasn't marked @ install, just about anywhere. Can you determine the placement of the drain tubes in the leach-field (depressions)? Should be at the start of those.

Sorry I haven't been back. Still trying to figure this out. There is a sloped area in the yard were thinking the field is. There's no standing water above ground but the tank is still filling and now over the baffle. I called the county and they have no record of a septic tank because our house was built in the 30s. I also called to find out how much a company would cost to locate the box and they said with how old it is its possible there isn't even a dbox

I should also mention that it isn't backing up into the house and I don't have any slow drains.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been back.

You're OK... ;)

Still trying to figure this out.

There is a sloped area in the yard were thinking the field is. There's no standing water above ground but the tank is still filling and now over the baffle. I called the county and they have no record of a septic tank because our house was built in the 30s. I also called to find out how much a company would cost to locate the box and they said with how old it is its possible there isn't even a dbox

I should also mention that it isn't backing up into the house and I don't have any slow drains.

:( ...mmm...

If the tank is still filling w/o draining properly, there is something wrong downstream.

The system being from the thirties, I would venture most would have difficulty with the layout.

IMO (and I welcome correction here), your only option is to call in a CERTIFIED SEPTIC CONTRACTOR to diagnose the problem(s). It might be best to get two (or more) opinions to make sure someone is not going to take advantage of you.

Any more pertinent advice gentlemen? :confused:

Throw some squirrels in there and tell them to get eating? I have squirrels for sale.

So we dug today and found which way the leach field goes. We have to keep digging to find the d box but now I have a question. Shouldn't the leach field be a little soggy, or soft? The ground is hard as a rock where the field is. This is leading my husband to believe maybe the main outflow between the dbox and the tank is plugged, so he's going to cut a chunk of pipe out and replace it.

Because of the age of the system, there may be no D-Box, only a straight shot to the leach-field.

Has he positively identified the leach-field? There has to be an obstruction in the pipe from the tank to the field.

Because of the age of the system, there may be no D-Box, only a straight shot to the leach-field.

Has he positively identified the leach-field? There has to be an obstruction in the pipe from the tank to the field.

Yeah, we're pretty sure we found it. He's going to drill a hole in the pipe with a hole saw and see if water comes out. If it does then the plug is longer down the line

Latest posts

Back