Sptic tank filling with ground water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeptictankPhil

Reaction score
In January, noticed that the input line to the tank was frozen. I thawed out the blockage with hot water, dug up the lids and had the tank pumped. We left for a few weeks (its a cottage) and when we came back the line was frozen again and the tank full. We had heavy rain here in central Ontario in late January and then the freeze came. We pumped out the fluid side below into barrels to get below the output baffle and notice the ground water seeping in from the field. Suspected it was a high water table caused by poor drainage around the bed. Left it for remainder of winter an when I returned last week, noticed it was still full. Did the same process and water still flowing in thru output baffle. Does this look like anything wrong with the bed or tank or do I have to correct the drainage around the bed?

Sounds like it is coming in from the leach field but my question would be does the system work? You would think if the leach are was saturated it would keep the tank from draining unless when full it pushes the liquids somewhere else?

you need to a perc test preformed

how much rain ? when the lid was put back on, was it sealed ? if not, it is a big area drain

sounds like your drain field MIGHT be saturated.

call your local septic tank installer, ask them to perform a perc test, basically he will dig hole's fill them with water and time how long it takes for the water to disappear

if the ground is not percolating , you will need to have install a new field

...when I returned last week, noticed it was still full. Did the same process and water still flowing in thru output baffle. Does this look like anything wrong with the bed or tank or do I have to correct the drainage around the bed?

Note To Self-

Self-

Look for key words.

Does the back-flow (from the output tube into the tank) appear as effluent or as somewhat clear? It seems strange that the back-flow would be only effluent, if the tank was left dormant for a while and previously drained. There should be no or little water entering the D-Box from the tank to pressurize the field.

Is the field saturated? If so, a perc test and if fails find the cause of the failure (whether field failure and/or poor drainage or source of outside system water entering as in a spring).

Latest posts

Back