excessive drain to trap distance

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irterry

Reaction score
I have a somewhat unique problem and could use some advice. I have a unique cypress root console i want want to use in a powder room with a vessel sink on top. the console is 31" high and is mounted above a 3' high crawl space. The console is nearly solid wood. I want to drill a 3" hole vertically thru the console and put a 3' tailpipe on the drain. this means the trap would be approx 38-42" from drain to weir on the trap. You dont need to remind me that this is a bad idea because the falling water will likely break the trap seal making us vulnerable to the drain gases. I know that by reading this forum. My question is: are there any clever, alternative or possibly more complicated ways to put the trap that far from the trap safely. There simply no room behind, beside or in the console. The p trap would still be about 3' above the main drain that goes into the septic tank. I hate to discard the idea because the console with vessel sink would make a spectacular powder room decor.

image.jpg

you can not use it , If it is not ASTM approved it is acceptable

sorry man, it is a beautiful piece. i have seen some beautiful works of art being converted into bathroom sinks.
the best i have seen todate was a chunk of black Obsidian
with a bowl carved out in the middle, stunning,
the worst was a tin wash tub nailed to the wall...go figure

till the plumbing inspector shows up and poo poo's the party.
it is because of health and safety issues, a porus material will hold bacteria, you cant see it, it will jump out of its hidey hole and make you sick as a dog.

scan0001.jpg

maximum length from fixture outlet to weir is 24''
that alone will get you busted

Last edited:
I am not a plumber, but it seems to me that the console is simply the substitute for a typical counter top and not strictly a part of the plumbing fixture (sink and piping). Alternatively, can you separate the console from the sink with a thick plate of clear glass on top so that it remains visible but not in potential contact with splashed water?

I've also seen some strange mediums for bathroom counters myself. My eccentric cousin installed half of a buckboard for his guest bathroom and then installed a hand pump to dump the water into a bucket. Yeah, it was all automatic and had drains, but really gave you the old time feel.

Karageorge, thank you very much for the lead to a Hepvo valve. I had never heard of them so I did some research. They have been used successfully for a long time in Europe. In the US they are primarily used for RVs because they are not approved by most US Codes. I discussed the valve with my plumber who is doing the balance of our home renovation, and he says he cant install one because it doesn't meet local code. He does say, however, it looks like a good solution to my unique problem on my low usage powder room problem. I have easy access to the crawl space under my vessel sink location so I will install one myself. The nice feature for my application is that the Hepvo doesn't have a problem with the excessive fall distance between the sink and trap (greater than 24"). If it turns out it is not as good as I expect it to be, I can take it out and return to the drawing board. Thanks again.

is that vessel. stamped, astm approved. it is very simple, it is either stamped approved or not

and the tail piece is either 24'' or less.

if either of these 2 questions are no, the plumbing inspector will turn the final down.

i suggest, installing a cheap pos pedestal sink till after inspection, then do as you wish
last i heard, the inspectors do not make surprise inspections. here in the usa
maybe elsewhere. like, canada or california, chili

Latest posts

Back