Frozen cartridge issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZepTepi

Reaction score
We(hotel I work for) have a sink cartridge that is frozen in place and try as we might we can not get it to budge due too rust or calcium buildup I suspect. Someone had tried removing it several years ago and had apparently even used a torch but to no avail. The edges of the cartridge are partially rounded off but a deep socket still grabs it well but it just won't break free. Even the longtime plumber who's done work here for years was unable to get it out. Because the faucet itself is installed behind granite, as you can see in the attached pics, we have to open the wall in the hallway on the other side of the faucet to access it to replace it but I wanted to try posting here in hopes someone might no a trick we haven't tried to get the cartridge out. I've had luck with vertical cartridges in the past by pouring a little CLR on it and letting it soak to clear some of the calcium/rust but that won't work here because it sits horizontally.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mark in San Diego

539 sink.jpg

539 sink cartridge.jpg

Does the stem turn on and off?
Make sure the valve is open.

You say a socket still grabs the top of the bonnet.
If it slips try a gator socket.
have you tried using a long breaker bar handle or an extension on the handle?
don't use a ratchet handle.
Have you tried smacking the end of the handle with a hammer?

Yes, the stem turns but the cartridge has apparently been leaking for years and my predecessor could not get it out so they left it in place to continue leaking. I'm not willing to do that now that I am aware of the issue.

I just returned a gator grip I purchased from Home Depot because it didn't work. The hole in the granite the cartridge is inset in is too small.

Yes, we tried a breaker bar but no luck. We were using enough force that I was concerned about breaking the granite.

Yes, we hit the end of the breaker bar while trying to turn it but no luck.

At this point we have opened the wall in the hallway on the other side of the fixture and am going to replace the entire valve assembly the cartridge mounts in.

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/5-8-two-handle-ceramic-valve/productDetail/Non-Catalog/421104.htm

At least that's the plan at the moment.

Does the stem turn on and off?
Make sure the valve is open.

You say a socket still grabs the top of the bonnet.
If it slips try a gator socket.
have you tried using a long breaker bar handle or an extension on the handle?
don't use a ratchet handle.
Have you tried smacking the end of the handle with a hammer?

Thanks for the update.

Looks like you gave it a good shot and your only option left is to change it out.

I'm sure this is one of many other valves of the same model that you have no trouble with disassembly.

I had a wall mount kitchen sink faucet ( maker unknown ) once that had a bonnet cap that had left hand treads. Not talking about the stem that is typical for lever handles, but the bonnet that held the stem into the valve body.
Trying to unscrew it counterclockwise and discovered I had to go clockwise to get it off. :eek:

I bought one of those gator sockets but have never used it yet.

Good luck. Thanks for sharing

kkk.JPG

zoom.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back