Backup sump pump discharge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz02

Reaction score
Hi:

I'm adding a hydraulic backup sump pump and could use some input on plumbing the discharge. The main pump discharge is a 2" PVC line through the foundation, starting out roughly 4' below grade and sloping down to a an elbow pointing down about 8' feet (at grade) from the foundation . I know that the gutters are connected to a drain connected to the storm sewer system, but the main sump discharge is only a couple of feet away from the storm drain, and while I didn't find a connection between the two, I assume that the sump pump is also connecting to the storm sewer as I dug until I found the elbow (4 1/2 feet down) where the 2" PVC pipe is now pointing down.

Since I've dug up the yard this far, and I have a rotary hammer, my question is this, what's the proper way to go with the discharge from the backup pump? According to the instructions, it's against code to T into the existing discharge line inside the house.

Assuming connecting to the existing discharge (even with a check valve) is not a proper solution, should I put another hole in the foundation and connect into the existing PVC discharge outside of the house? If so, can I "Y" into the horizontal run or should I cut out the elbow and put in a T. Or should I keep digging down until I find the connection to the storm sewer lateral and add a separate connection to that?

Added a drawing.

Discharge.jpg

Last edited:
Back