Noise coming out of water system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkustb

Reaction score
I recently noticed there is a noise coming from the water system in the house, and after searching online and I guess I can put it best as follows.

There is a big valve in the basement that controls the water into the house and there is a big meter just half a foot from it, any water coming into the house would be logged in that meter. So, if I open the value to the full extent, even though the meter is barely running(as no water is being used), I can hear a noise, and if I use my hand to grasp the pipe connected to the valve, I can feel something is going on somewhere and the noise and shake is transferred from that place to my hand through the pipeline system. I know the copper pipe and water are good media to transfer the sound and shake.

Anyway, I have been staring at the meter and it just doesn't log any water being used, or only a very tiny amount, like dripping 1 drop per 2 second, but the noise is much louder than dripping, it's like the water is being boiled, from a distance.

So, I guess the good thing is the water is not leaking badly(otherwise the meter should be logging it), but the noise is there. As soon as I turn off the big valve alongside the meter, the noise is gone. So, it comes from the water pressure being applied to certain equipment/system.

Anyone has an idea what might be wrong? I checked the heater relief valve, it's working fine, no louder noise heard near the heater either. I checked all toilets, they are fine too. The noise is coming from a more powerful source, it's like steam trying to get out of a kettle, the feel/sound is not leaking water, otherwise it should be a major blown out of water and it should be caught by the water meter logging, but it's not . Water meter only runs tiny steps, but just stand still there.

I mean, it feels like something is being pushed by the water system upstairs when I stand in the basement, but what is being shaken by water pressure, I cannot imagine anything...

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

lkustb

th

see that little diamond ? if its moving, your using water

Yes, I saw the diamond, and I stared at it for about 10mins, if I am using a faucet, it runs quickly. But when I turn off the faucet, it runs very slow, like 1 drop of water for every second, or just stand still there.

Given the loud sound and shaking, I don't think its leaking, otherwise, the diamond should be running very quickly. Right?

Here’s how to use the leak detector:

water_leak.jpg

Make sure you are not using any water inside or outside your home. Check that the washer isn’t running, no one is showering or watering, etc.

Look at the red sweep hand, which is a flow indicator. It should not be moving if no one at your home is using water.

Find the red triangle leak detector on your meter. (Some meters may have a red star instead of a triangle.) If you are not using water, the detector should be still. If the leak detector moves when you are not using water, you may have a leak. If you suspect a leak, you or your plumbing contractor will want to repair it quickly to eliminate higher water bills.

check the toilets for running water and Do you have any pipes under ground?

The sediments make it hard to drain. I replace the drain cock with a ball valve but if you have a plastic drain cock there is a big risk of it snapping off trying to unscrew it.

I prep the area with plastic. Just incase , have a rag and a screw driver ready to ram into the hole if it does break off. Best to disconnect water supplies on top and cap so no air can get in tank. then if you do break off the drain cock it just dribbles out.

Another way to drain it is use a long tube into the top hot side supply and siphon out the water.

Here’s how to use the leak detector:

water_leak.jpg

Make sure you are not using any water inside or outside your home. Check that the washer isn’t running, no one is showering or watering, etc.

Look at the red sweep hand, which is a flow indicator. It should not be moving if no one at your home is using water.

Find the red triangle leak detector on your meter. (Some meters may have a red star instead of a triangle.) If you are not using water, the detector should be still. If the leak detector moves when you are not using water, you may have a leak. If you suspect a leak, you or your plumbing contractor will want to repair it quickly to eliminate higher water bills.

Well. I have my learned factoids of the day.

I had no idea a water meter worked in that fashion.

Let's see now-

1) HOT on the L, COLD on the R...

2) Shiat flows downhill...

3) Note boiling point of saliva...

4) Leave no DNA on-site...

5) The boss is an a$$...

6) Payday on Fri...

7) Refrain from biting nails...

8) Just say no to Plumbers Crack...

mixed-smiley-002.gif

Well. I have my learned factoids of the day.

I had no idea a water meter worked in that fashion.

Let's see now-

1) HOT on the L, COLD on the R...

2) Shiat flows downhill...

3) Note boiling point of saliva...

4) Leave no DNA on-site...

5) The boss is an a$$...

6) Payday on Fri...

7) Refrain from biting nails...

8) Just say no to Plumbers Crack...

mixed-smiley-002.gif

Add this one to the list.

9) When cleaning a drain keep your mouth closed. :cool:

Hi guys,

Thank you for your reply, right now, I am 90% sure that the noise is NOT coming from the heater, but from something behind the basement wall. The previous home owner wanted to set up a sprinkling system, but it never finished.

And I know there is sump pump underground in front of the house, could it be the reason? From the fact that when the water is cut off the noise went away at one, I guess it's not from the sump pump. No water running is observed from the water meter either, the noise is like a motorcycle, but with less loudness.

Strange... Anyone has any idea if this can be solved by a common plumber, or I should contact the city water department?

lkustb

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back