P-Trap Retrofit

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pd417

Reaction score
I just remodeled our small first floor half bath. Along with new tile, paint and toilet, I installed a new vanity and sink. Of course the drain on the new sink did not line up with the p-trap, it was about 1.5" off, so I had to do some minor modifications.

Right now everything is dry fit, but before I secure everything, I wanted to post a couple photos and see if what I did was done properly and if known, up to Calif code.

Here is the breakdown:

- 1.5" male threaded p-trap adapter coming out of the stub out from the wall

- 1.5" ABS female adapter screwed to p-trap adapter

- 2 x 1.5" 45 degree street elbows attached to the slip end of the female adapter (to compensate for the 1.5" offset)

- Male adapter connected to female end of 45 degree elbow (glued, with a short piece of ABS pipe)

- P-trap then connects to that via water tight coupling then to drain.

I know it looks goofy, but it does look like it will work. If anyone has a different idea, let me know.

Thx...

p-trap-retrofit-img_2787.jpg

p-trap-retrofit-img_2789.jpg

Last edited:
Never, ever ,dry fit the fittings then expect it to line up when you cement it together. When cemented the pipe will go further into the hub of the fitting like it should. Dry fit you can usually only go half ways or a little more, then you're cursing when you try to get them apart.

You do not need two fittings there. Swing the trap arm so it's on a 45 degree. Then use another 45 degree to line up with your drain.

Never, ever ,dry fit the fittings then expect it to line up when you cement it together.

AMEN!!! We see it over and over on the internet. People need to pay attention to posts like this.

Matt.....I tried your suggestion and the alignment was still off, maybe try a 22.5 degree elbow and see if that works.

Thanks again, appreciate the advice.

Latest posts

Back