main drain pipe leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lburgos

Reaction score
To all,

I woke up this morning after a shower to find water leaking from my kitchen ceiling. Two bathrooms exist on the second floor over the kitchen on the first floor. Needless to say I immediately shut off the water and opened the ceiling (drywall). The ceiling was soaked. I located a half inch crack/split on the main drain pipe from the two bathrooms. The main drain pipe I believe to be at least a 3 inch pipe. The leak is locate near a joint and given the location I believe cutting to be nearly impossible. Is an epoxy my best bet. Or is it necessary to try to cut. Was wondering what is the best solution. I have attached a picture of the pipe and location. Thanks.

1436017970169.jpg

1436018121278.jpg

1436018165818.jpg

1436018186731.jpg

I hate to say it but a total re-pipe of the waste lines is in your near future. The waste lines are more then likely DWV copper which is a light weight copper. If you check the rest of the lines both top and bottom there will be soft spots that have a green tint.

Latest posts

Back