Frozen Pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOGGY

Reaction score
My home is on a slab supported by piles in a swampy area. The ground is continually settling and my slab is now basically in the air and open underneath, exposing my main water line to cold temperatures.

I have covered the outside edges to keep out varmints and cold winds but when I look under the house I can see two feet of my soil stack and also my main water supply line.

I had frozen lines three times last winter and would like to do something to prevent this. Would simply filling in the area around the plumbing under the house with sand or some other material keep these lines from freezing?

There is enough room to reach under with a shovel but not enough for me to crawl under. Would mud jacking or something similar be a better idea?

Perhaps not so much of a plumbing problem but I sure would appreciate some thoughts on a way to correct it. I appreciate all comments.

If there is enough room ,your best option would most likely be to wrap the pipe with heat tracing and then insulation.

Thanks for your reply. There wasn't enough room to do as you suggested but after a bit of hard work and some serious shovelling I can now get under the slab. So now is the time to do some winterizing. Thanks again.

Hoggy, I am in a swampy area also.

when we run into your problem. we dig, crawl..fuss, fart, cuss,

and install hangers on the drain lines. so when the clay pulls away it will not pull the pipes also.

if we catch it, before we pour concrete, we wrap SS wire around the pipe, tie it off to the rebar

lousanna code requires it.. we in Miss. just doit.

also, you can wrap your house with skirting to keep the wind out

Well Frodo, as they used to say on one of my favorite old tv shows. "What a revoltin development this turned out to be".

Since I first posted the clay has settled and separated my soil stack. Not only that but the water line has moved so it is directly over the opening of the soil stack. I've had to cut and rejoin the water line to clear the soil stack, and the soil stack is now reconnected.

I was on my belly squeezed into the small opening under the slab with my legs sticking out. Couldn't get much worse, right? WRONG! Then it started to rain.

Anyway, I followed your advice: dig, crawl, fuss, fart, cuss. Still have to get it ready for winter. I like your idea about the hangers.

Thanks for your reply.

Latest posts

Back