Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Pumps and Wells > Black particles in water

Old 09-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
tazfan

Default Black particles in water

My house is in a rural area and water is supplied from a well that was hand dug many years ago. It is 18-20 ft deep. We have alway had good water, and plenty of it. Looking in the well the water is very clear. We have the pump, pressure tank in the basment setup. Lately we have been getting more and more small black particles in our water. They don't stain our cloths but when rubbed between your fingers they leave a faint brown/black streaks. These particles clog our facets, toilet valves and making it impossible to drink the water. At times the particles are much worse and other times we hardly see any. We have had a well tech out but he seems unsure of where the particles are coming from or what is causing them. I am looking at installing a whole house fiter but need to fix the source of the problem also. Anyone ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Driller1

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Replace the well with a drilled well.

Dug wells are never grouted property, if at all.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
speedbump
Water well and pump tech

Liked 61 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Whole house filters like the ones sold at big box stores are a joke. Don't waste your money.

The black specs are more than likely sulphur particles that form on the pipes like a coating of paint. When it gets thick enough, parts of them break off in little flakes like your seeing. They are not harmful, but aggravating.

If you have an air compressor, you can inject air into the water line while your running a large faucet, like a bath tub or an outside faucet. The air will agitate the plumbing and knock a lot of this stuff off your pipes. Things will be a little black and gold for a while assuming you have some iron too, but just run all the faucets without their aerators for a while and it will clear up.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
tazfan

What kind of filter would you recommend?

Old 09-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
speedbump
Water well and pump tech

To be completely honest, even though I sell water filtration, I don't recommend a filter for that. Hydrogen sulfide forms a coating on all your piping. Where you put the filter may catch the flakes before the filter but the sulphur is still forming on the pipes past the filter. There is no filter I know of that will stop the sulphur from forming on the plumbing regardless of where it's located.

I would just beg, borrow, buy an air compressor that you can add some air to your plumbing as close to the well as possible and clean it that way. It will probably last quite a long time if done properly. The biggest problem is the possibility of plugging aerators, toilet fill valves, washer hose screens etc. But if you want to get rid of them, that's the only thing I know that will work.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
tazfan

Doesn't hydrogen sulfide ususally have a terrible smell? Our water tastes good and has no smell at all and we don't have any slimy coatings in our toilet tanks or anywhere else....just the black particles. Our pipes are all plastic as well. Appreicate the ideas and info!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
speedbump
Water well and pump tech

Yes it does if you have enough of it. There may not be any odor and you can still have the build up on the pipes.

It could be something else too, hard to say without actually seeing it.

Can you smash it by rubbing it between your thumb and finger or is it more like a little rock?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
tazfan

The majority of particles are very small like silt that you can barely see them in the water but a few are pepper flake size. When you smash them between fingers, they are not rock like, they just mash down into a black almost greasy like consistancy.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
speedbump
Water well and pump tech

Yup, that's sulphur. Use the air to clean out the pipes and it should not occur for several years again.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
hawkerpilot05

I would like to add to this discussion. We had our well go out in the fact that the galvanized pipe that connected to the check valve upstream of the motor/pump burst. On the threads of the Galvanized piping, a 3/8" hole formed causing the water to no longer pump up. In fact the loss of pressure and the fact that the pump is 280' below the surface, the water falling back down the well must have created such a vacuum that it sucked our water softener in much like how you crush a pop can by squeezing it in the middle. We had the pump pulled and a new 21' section of galvanized pipe was added as well as a new check valve. I elected to replace the 1.5 horsepower 240V pump with a 2.0 horsepower 240V pump. I went from under 10 gpm to 15 gpm.

The problem we are having is that we are continuing getting our water filter clogging up by these black particles. The water filter is a Rusco sediment trapper with a 100 mesh screen. It is upstream of the pressure tank and before the Commers 50IM water softener and 50HS Well Water Filter for the smell . When the glass bowl is unscrewed to reveal the filter, it is covered with black particles that resemble the properties of Sulphur as described in earlier post. I have run the well for quite some time and it has not cleared up.

After reading some of these post, I am curious on what to do or what is causing this.

Could the increase in GPM be causing the sulphur particles to break off where before the lower GPM wasn't causing this?
Would it be safe to remove the Rusco filter and rely on the Waters Softener and Water Filter for the smell to filter it out without fear of plugging them up?
How would you use air from a air compressor if the black stuff is coming from you well and not in the lines of the house?

Thanks

Last edited by hawkerpilot05; 10-16-2011 at 02:44 AM.

Quick Reply