Gray Water Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippy

Reaction score
I live in a rural area and recently divorced my gray water from my septic. I have all my gray water now discharging into my basement sump pump. The pump then leads to a pit which I dug 4x5 by 10 ft deep filled with clean stone. My question: Can I tie my gray water sewer line into a 55 gallon drum prior to the water entering my sump pump to help catch the sludge and scum? My main concern is the smell and catching the food particles/dirt prior to it entering my sump. Any ideas would be great! Thanks in advance for any tips or feedback.

Grey water requires more detention time than sewage because grey water carries less microbes and a higher waste strength. Often, grey water requires a far more complex treatment process than sewage. It is better to keep the grey water (which is technically still sewage) in the septic system. There is a reason why separating toilet waste from grey water is illegal in many states.

Latest posts

Back