What flexible couplers are safe to use on a roof?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckiechan

Reaction score
I'm connecting 2" ABS to 2" ABS after I repair a section of the pipe?

I understand some will deteriorate in direct sunlight over time?

What is the pipe for?
Vent?
Normally that would be the only ABS pipe on the roof.

use a banded Mission coupling or Proflex

imagesEDMBDC9A.jpg

I had a roof re done, and had the pool water solar system removed and reinstalled by a solar company in Sacramento that does installs, etc.

The panels are fine, as are most of the pipes, except on one section where it keeps leaking. It's a "pipe up" and a "pipe down" right before and after the roof jacks. They have been out at least twice fixing it, and when I turned it on the other day - first time this year - it leaks like a sieve. It's ABS pipe. He says he's using the right sealant. There must be three or four individual joints leaking in this small section - unnecessary splices from their screw up's.

It's out of warranty - one year- but I'm going to see if he'll come back and fix it. But I don't have high hopes so I'll probably be hauling my 70 year old ass up there and doing it myself. It's a ~ 4 in 12 roof pitch so it's not all that bad.

I digress...
I plan to use flexible couplers, a 45, a couple of 90's, and a glue union.

My actual question:
Is there enough insert depth that using Oaty black, it will seal OK using ABS standard couplers? There is some pressure, but ABS is the standard of the solar water industry in my area.

And what flexible union do you use that can be outdoors, long term, in brutal sunlight? I know some can't be and I don't want to get the wrong ones.

BTW, even a tiny leak is unacceptable, because it will eat away my rain gutters in a year or two.

Thanks in advance...

Chuckie

If you have the room for 2 soil pipe X ABS adapters and a banded coupling previously mentioned, should work just fine. They are intended fro use with connecting plastic to cast iron soil pipe with a NO-HUB banded coupling. ( NH pipe is slightly small in diameter than sch 40 plastic pipe. )
The ridge on the fitting helps prevent the pipe from slipping out of banded coupling. A Mission Band or Proflex coupling have thicker neoprene for a better seal. use them all the time for connecting sump pump discharge drain lines. Those are pressurized connections.

5805-N.jpg

Last edited:
The guy is going to fix it again. He says he is using 2" BLACK PVC, so there is no conflict between materials.

Neither of us have any idea why it continues to fail. Someone is doing something wrong. This is real deal business that installs solar systems. I'm out of ideas, since I assumed it was ABS.

I've Googled all over my are and can't find 2" Black PVC.

Is it really out there and I'm looking in the wrong places?

I'll try to attach a photo. You can see the white stains from the leaks - it's a salt water pool for chlorine generation.

DSC03944.jpg

Black PVC? Not familiar with but that makes more since. ABS glue will not stick to PVC There is a special glue for that. It's green.

All my pool equipment is made with PVC, then was painted a flat black to stop them from being eaten by the sun.

The guy is going to fix it again. He says he is using 2" BLACK PVC, so there is no conflict between materials.

Neither of us have any idea why it continues to fail. Someone is doing something wrong. This is real deal business that installs solar systems. I'm out of ideas, since I assumed it was ABS.

I've Googled all over my are and can't find 2" Black PVC.

Is it really out there and I'm looking in the wrong places?

I'll try to attach a photo. You can see the white stains from the leaks - it's a salt water pool for chlorine generation.

one thing i clearly see is the pipe is laying on the shingles, instead of being supported. the way they are laying is diverting the rain from the valley and the gutter

why are the pipes not insulated and supported in a rack?

RTBJail3.jpg

They make all sorts of colored PVC and clear. It's very expensive and I have only been to one specialty place that carried it.

abs and pvc are available in 2 styles, one is foam core, the other is solid core

the foam core is NOT rated for pressure.

this is not know to everyone, you might want to check the pipe, that could be the problem.

if the writing is unreadable, cut a pipe, the cross section will resemble foam, will not be solid plastic

you may have a section of foam core giving you problems.

PPFA_ABS_cell_section.jpg

I have a scrap from the repair. It's solid, no foam core, but there is no writing on it. How can I test it?

The "What's this" is the metal conduit the solar electric company is running to my solar electric panels. I have no attic space due to the high ceiling.

I'll have him lift the pipes with blocks.

Hopefully, he'll be doing it this week.

BTW, how can someone screw something up as easy as this? I've never, ever had PVC leak, although it was smaller homeowner job like sprinklers, etc.

Back