Outdoor Hose

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enterline

Reaction score
I have a hose bib that is located approximately 6' from my hose. A copper pipe runs from the exterior wall of the hose under the porch to the hose bib that is mounted on the porch wall. Every winter (I'm in DC) the copper pipe cracks since so much of it is exposed to the cold. I turn off the water every winter and have tried various pipe insulation without success. I thought about going to PVC from the exterior wall to hose bib, but my research says that can crack as well.

Any thoughts? I would prefer not to relocate the hose bib as it is very convenient to the garden. I know I could also rework the piping on the inside of the house to shorten the exterior run, but wanted to explore some other less intensive options.

Thanks.

How about installing a Tee with a valve on it at the low point to drain the line before winter? If you can get it drained it should not crack anymore.

Okay, bear with me here. Not a plumber. Usually to prep for winter I turn off the water to the hose and then run the hose until all the water is out. Are you saying some water could still remain in the pipe and that is what is freezing and cracking the pipe?

Follow up, I know you probably can't recommend specific products, but do you have a picture or more detailed description of the tee?

Yes water is still in the line. The reason it is breaking is because when the water freezes it expands and then cracks the line.

I would draw you something up but I am working off my phone right now. You just want som sort of way to drain the line from the lowest point.

I'm more of a fan of being able to isolate it with a shut off valve, and being able to blow the water out by means of air compressor. A drain at the lowest point is still good practice.

Latest posts

Back